Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies

missowens

Question

SOFT-AS-A-CLOUD DRESS

I have over 30 years on the hook so I don't think it is me (but it could be). The beginning you create the "yoke and sleeves" as one piece. The issue is this:

States to chain 27 and dc in 4th chain from hook and you will have 27 stitches. I find this impossible without chaining 29.

You work rows 2-3 dc across (still 27 stitches)

You work rows 4-20 increasing one stitch at the beg of each row and according to pattern you should have 45 stitches (including chain 3 as a stitch). Well I wrote it out and it is 44 stitches.

Can someone please clarify where I am misinterpreting this pattern or if there are corrections (I googled and couldn't find) point me to them.

Thanks so much and happy hooking,

Fonda

2 answers to this question

Hi Fonda. Welcome to Crochetville. I love what you said about 30 years on the hook:lol I recently bought this book, and then read online reviews saying there were a lot of mistakes. I wanted to have the corrections in hand before i started anything. I went to larkbooks.com and emailed them by using the "contact us" tab on the home page. Within an hour they emailed me the corrections. BUT evidently my copy is new enough that the corrections have already ben incorporated into the book. I can tell you that the only correction for that pattern is that on pg 84, 2nd sentence under Pattern Notes should say that on yoke and sleeves, chain at beg of each row DOES count as a stitch. Looks like your copy says the same thing.

I haven't made the dress, but will it really matter if you are one stitch off? it will make the sleeves and yoke one stitch shallower, but that is only about a fifth of an inch, right? If it looks like that will affect the fit, I personally would just do another increase in the middle of a row to make the count come out right.

May I ask what yarn you are using? Just curious as I may want to make it too.

Archived