Help with preemie hat pattern

mason204

Question

Hi everyone:

I'm clearing some stash and thought I'd make some preemie stuff for this month's Crochetville charity effort.

Anyway, I was motoring along with this pattern and am stuck on Round 3 - the spot is highlighted in red below:

MELINDA'S RUFFLED PREEMIE HAT (Crochet)

Copyright by Melinda Gorley

This pattern was on one of my charity pages earlier this year. It is very easy to do and quite cute!

Size F hook for preemie under 3 lbs

Size G hook for preemie over 3 lbs

Baby, sport weight, 4-ply worsted weight yarn

Use smaller hook for 4-ply yarn

Use "baby" colors, (pastels, pinks, blues, peach, white, varigateds)

ALL WORK DONE IN BACK LOOPS

Ch 6. Join with sl st. Ch 3.

ROUND 1: 1 dc in same st as ch 3. 2 dc in each st around. Join with sl. st. (12 sts)

ROUND 2: Ch 3. 1 dc in same st as ch 3. 2 dc in each st around.

ROUND 3: Ch 3. (Counts as 1 dc). 1 dc in same st as ch 3. *1 dc next 2 sts, 2 dc next 3 sts.* Repeat from * around. Join with st st.

ROUND 4: Ch 3 Dc in each st around.......the pattern continues...

Does that mean 1 dc in next st (2x), 2 dc in next st (3x)? If so, I'm left with one extra stitch at the end of the round assuming that in Round 2 I had 24 sts? :think

Or is this a decrease round?? :think

If anyone has made this pattern before and can help, I'd appreciate it. It seems pretty quick and I'm sure it'll look cute when finished.

Thanks.

Cheryl. :hook

6 answers to this question

Did you do the 1 dc in the same stitch as the ch 3?

You have it right

Check your row two and see if you have the right number of stitches in that row. Sometimes if we make a mistake in a previous row....it throws off the next rows. If everything is correct, I will try and make a sample up to this point and try to figure out what your problem may be. I have to make hats for the Charity Blitz too.

ROUND 3: Ch 3. (Counts as 1 dc). 1 dc in same st as ch 3. *1 dc next 2 sts, 2 dc next 3 sts.* Repeat from * around. Join with st st.

ROUND 4: Ch 3 Dc in each st around.......the pattern continues...

Does that mean 1 dc in next st (2x), 2 dc in next st (3x)? If so, I'm left with one extra stitch at the end of the round assuming that in Round 2 I had 24 sts? :think

Or is this a decrease round?? :think

If anyone has made this pattern before and can help, I'd appreciate it. It seems pretty quick and I'm sure it'll look cute when finished.

Okay, I just worked up those 3 rows and I too have a stitch left over.....so there is an error in that row. I will see if I can figure out where it is.

I worked at it, and found that if I work round 3 like this.....the stitches work out.

Round 3: Ch3 (counts as 1 dc), 1 dc in same st as ch 3. * 1 dc in each of next 2 sts, 2 dc in next 2 sts.*

Repeat from * around. Join with slip stitch.

Did you do the 1 dc in the same stitch as the ch 3?

You have it right

Check your row two and see if you have the right number of stitches in that row. Sometimes if we make a mistake in a previous row....it throws off the next rows. If everything is correct, I will try and make a sample up to this point and try to figure out what your problem may be. I have to make hats for the Charity Blitz too.

Hi Daisy:

Thanks for your reply.

I cheated and just worked in the "extra" stitch. The hat is finished and looks quite cute. My new question is: how is the hat worn? Once I finished the ruffle, I turned up the brim. It looks a little odd. I turned the hat inside/out and turned up the brim and I quite like it that way. Upon reading the pattern again, maybe the brim is only rolled up if it's made for a boy since there's no ruffle added?

I think if I make this again, I'll probably skip working through the back loop for the main part of the hat since I find this more time consuming. If it's for aesthetic purposes, I didn't think it added all that much. I did like the rows of sc worked through the back loop.

....sorry, that's just me rambling on...

Cheryl.

I made that hat ahile ago and had to fudge it also. I tried it so many times and so many ways that I just decided to work in that extra stitch and in came out just fine. Since I made it with the ruffle I didn't turn up the brim.

I thought it looked cute just the way it was.

Cheryl, check my second post (above yours) I made a change to the pattern to make it work out. I have made this pattern before too, and I just wasn't crazy about the way it turned out. I leave the ruffle down because I thought it looked funny with it turned up. You've got me curious, so now I have to see if I still have that hat.

:cheer

:think How many stitches do you eed for the next row?

:think Is it a fancy stitch that needs a certain number of stitches?

:hook If not, you will get the same number of stitches if you do 1DC into base of CH3, *1DC into nexT, 2DC into next* repeat * to * to end of the round. (36 DCs)

If the rest of the hat is in DCs, the number will not matter at all. One or two stitches at this stage will be fine.

Seems to me that the person who wrote the pattern did not think about the number of times the repeat of increases could be done on the 24DCs so there is 3 DCs left over because the pattern instructions end with 2DC into next 3DCs, then there is still 3DCs left over, well there was when I tried it.

It does not mention the last 3DCs.

Row 4 is not increased at all.

:think What is row 5?

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived