How much chunky yarn to make an afghan?

Adriann

Question

I want to use Bernat's Softee Chunky but don't know how much would be needed to make an average size afghan. On Bernat's free pattern page there are some patterns for afghans using this yarn but the range of amounts needed is bizarre. One of them says it just requires 3 balls? ANd the other says 12 or something, and they are of similar sizes so something is misprinted but I don't know what. Any guesstimates, though, of what would be a reasonable amt of bulky yarn needed for an afghan? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I used that yarn for a childs hat and I loved working with it but never made an afghan with it as I figure it would take too many balls of it to make something a good size but maybe baby size or lap size wouldn't be bad. I am all about thrifty so I use the caron 1 pounders for afghans because I can get them on sale at the craft store for a good price and that helps me make them cost effective to donate to my church and I find the yarn very soft like the other stuff. Hopefully someone can help on how much if you are making up your own pattern. Just wanted to say you will enjoy working with it. Mary

How similar are the patterns? Same size/hook/stitch? Something done in sc will use quite a bit more than something in dc.

I always buy 1 skein, make a 6x6 inch swatch in the stitch pattern I want to use for the afghan. Weigh it on my diet scale, and multiply it out.All I need then is to divide it up for weight of skeins, and the different colors, if I want them.

Archived