Those of you that do craft shows? How to you get ready?

OK I finally have gotten into this big craft show we have here each year, after wanting to be in it for the past four years this one will be my first year. I did not start anything for it until a week ago when I finally paid for my place and got my confirmation letter in the mail so now I have a little over 5 months to prepare. This show is a three day show and I have to be able to fill and keep filled a 10x10 booth.. :think I know I can do it even if I feel I can't I seem to always come through... Still is just scary lol...

So my question to you would be how would you use this next 5 months... If you where in my shoes..

Kristy:c9

Do some research if you can, find out from previous crafters what kind of customers attended and what were they looking for. Early xmas shoppers, bargian hunters, collectors?....when I worked craft shows I had a price range and found the less expensive items attracted more customer. Also functional items sold better than brick brack.

Good Luck

~Lynne~

Think about it from a business point of view. Which items can you make that look creative and a bit different than what other might have. Think of things you can make fairly quickly. Really big projects, like afghans, just take too much time (and materials) for you to really make any profit on.

Try to go for a wide range of prices. Baby and kids things are always popular, are small and don't take up too much yarn. Mommy and me things, or, a kid's size and one to fit a doll, would make great gift items.

Start thinking about how you will display your work. If you use tables, think about how you can get some height to the display. Nothing is more boring than everything laying flat on a table.

Good luck!

Joan

I do mock-setups. I pop the tent, drag out tables, tablecloths, shelves, etc and all my product. I do from start to finish, kind of keeping track of how long it takes me, so i know if i need more time the day of the show. Also, I can see all my stuff. I know when I do that, I make a list of all the things i want to have more of, then I know what to work on, what yarn i should get on my next trip, colors, etc. i've made several baby items, all different designs, but only one of each. I know people will want them, only in different colors, so now my goal is to do the same type of item in different colors, and maybe different sizes. Also, I can tell what looks good next to what. I'm not constantly moving everything around during the show because I'm happy with the placement of my items.

Print out pretty signs for items/prices, put them in frames behind the group of items: I make ipod/cell/camera cozies, so I got pretty paper and printed out a sign for them, framing it. I keep them all together on the table, and it saves me time from tagging them all individually.

Is this inside or out? Remember the wind... bring extra heavy-duty packing tape, scissors, safety pins, ribbon/cording, to tie down tablecloths and last minute other stuff.

Oh if you have purses, Ive been blowing up bags and puting them inside my bags, maybe with some weight at the bottom. They stand up nicely and customers can see from farther away, kinda catches their eye.

Hope this is helpful and your show goes well!

I've done craft shows, and have also run the craft show. My personal experience in making things for crafts shows is that people like things that they can use, that aren't too expensive. Like scarves, hats, mittens, baby bibs, baby hats, booties (novelty type like a little pair that look like cowboy boots always make a big hit, just an example)Also, folks love thier dogs and kitties, and they love to see coats, kerchiefs, collars, blankies for doggie, kitty, or baby. Simple the better, believe me. You go into doing the intricate stuff, and not only will they not pay for it, it takes you too long to do, and you will probably have a tough time selling it. People also love disclothes, and the crochet topped towels, at least around here also. I know one older lady that always paid to do my shows, and that is ALL she had, were the towels. She matched the towel with a decorative button on the crocheted part. This is just my opinion, and personal experience with selling, and noticing what others sell when I ran the shows. Of course you should have something that appeal to kids, and some change makers like cheaper magnets, things like that. Again, this is just my opinion. It really depends on the show and the clientele! Good luck what ever you do! Have fun! Michelle

These are all great ideas and thank you for them all.. A little more about the show this will be the 21st year of them doing it it's located in Myrtle Beach SC and it's a three day event in Dec. It's running from Nov30-Dec2. I know a lot of things for holidays of course and some things for gifts I have been thinking about doing the dish clothes,knitted scarves, hats, crocheted toys for the kids like the little animal, crochet ornaments, hand beaded ornaments, Beaded Christmas Spiders, dog toys, cat toys.... Yeah I know it's a lot of things but these are the things I make..

I have done shows in the past but they where very small one day shows with not a lot of advertising. The one I am doing this year will have lots of advertising. The ones in the past I have easily made my investment back and most of the time well over $200-500 over so if I can do that at small shows I am hoping this one will be good as well..

Any more suggestions I am very open to them

Kristy:c9

Go to the office supply store and get some of those pricetags that have strings attached to them. Mark your items ahead of time (even if you have a sign that states how much each item costs).

Add some height to your space with things as simple as a box turned upside down and a nice (solid colored) cloth put on top to cover the box. I also use small ladders and throw cloth napkins on each of the steps and then put my products on top of the steps.

Use some unusual embellishments too, like rocking horses and other toys that you can drape some of your pieces over.

I use black tablecloths, black napkins etc so the table dressing doesn't overwhelm the exhibit and customers' eyes are drawn where you want them to go.

If I have a 10x10 booth space, I line the tables up in an inverted U. That seems to be the best ... for me anyway.

Finally don't put everything on the table at once. People will sooner walk away than "force themselves" to go through a ton of items. If a customer picks up a yellow dishcloth for example, you could then tell them the other colors you have.

I've got a show in less than two weeks so I need to start following my own advice and get everything priced etc!

Archived