Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

You're not the only one who has had trouble finding sock yarn at the lys, Texapan. Whenever I go, the closest I can find is sport/baby weight yarns, and Microspun, which I have yet to try. But I do hear it (Microspun) works well as a sock-weight substitute.

The Caron's Simply Soft should work out well. Be sure and let us know how it turns out! :cheer

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend knowing how much I love socks in the cool weather (Goodness knows there is lots here!) and bought me a book on Crochet socks some of the patterns look really interesting.

I don't have a lot of money to go out and purchase the correct yarns as I'm in my last semester, but I was hoping that with a different hook and using some of the many balls of thinner yarn that I do have I might be able to knock out a pair for my tiny size 5 feet!

This seems like a really cool first crochet-a-long to join!

Hi Ryaira! :hi Welcome aboard.

I'm considering using thinner yarn for the socks also. I have a ball of size 3 cotton that I'd like to use up.

...I figure all should be well as long as I keep measuring the wip against my foot. :lol

Hi all!

I've added the form back to the Feet Need Socks CAL page. Please feel free to add your information to the list! This information is now stored in a database so I can manage it better.

I am going to manually go through the database where I am storing this information to approve the information for display. This is to avoid having kids submit nonsense like bad urls -- so there will be a brief delay before you end up on the participant page.

I also hope to have the revised participant list up later this week, and possibly the tutorial (which has been halfway complete for a year now :blush ).

Thanks for your patience! If you have any questions, let me know. :)

I'm still on my 1st sock, the "Toes Up" pattern. I love the pattern and it is easy. I'm using Simply Soft yarn and measuring against my foot as I go along. I'm writing down the measurements so that I can do the next pair the same way. Having a ball so far :D

I'm using smpily soft yarn for my first pair of socks. They are going to be so soft against my feet that have pain from diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage). :woo

I'm still on my 1st sock, the "Toes Up" pattern. I love the pattern and it is easy. I'm using Simply Soft yarn and measuring against my foot as I go along. I'm writing down the measurements so that I can do the next pair the same way. Having a ball so far :D

Yup, I write down my measurements too. It helps when I'm doing a pair for my sister; we have the same foot size. :lol

What color of SimplySoft are you using, Texapan?

H'mmm, and now that the add-form is up over at the FNS site, I think I'll mosey on over there and update my info. Or add my info, depending. :)

I am about to start my first pair of crocheted socks. I am not sure what pattern I am going to use but I bought the yarn tonight then happened on this site looking for the pattern. I bought lily's sugar and cream in rainbow bright.:c9

Yup, I write down my measurements too. It helps when I'm doing a pair for my sister; we have the same foot size. :lol

What color of SimplySoft are you using, Texapan?

H'mmm, and now that the add-form is up over at the FNS site, I think I'll mosey on over there and update my info. Or add my info, depending. :)

Hi, I'm using the Simply Soft colors that my DS bought! They are bright :cheer Yellow = bright for sure, light sage, a dusty pink and a loud purple. You'll be able to see me comin' :socks

We are still on fire in the Panhandle. Look up www.amarillo.com :fire

Joyce

YAHOO! Round of applause for me. After spending the whole weekend searching for stores in the GTA area to visit.

I FOUND a GEM in Unionville, Mary's Yarns on Unionville Main Street. It's a small quaint shop with a wide variety of yarns. This is where I found my sock yarn, I didn't get Regalia (sp) as it was $8 for a skein, but I found this purple-blue varigated with white that's really nice for $4.80. I'm so excited to try this yarn out but I have to at least get this one project finished for my sister. She'll be home soon. I'm heading up to the cottage for the weekend and plan on starting my socks this week at some point.

I went for the less expensive kind as I'm still a struggling college student (when the faculty gets off strike) once I graduate (god willing) I'll be able to splurge a bit more.

I am so excited, I just filled out the form and now officially part of the Feet Need Socks. This is my first crochet-along, so I am double excited. I have two skeins of lion brand sock yarn at home just waiting for me, so I can't wait to get out of work and go make my socks.

http://www.feetneedsocks.com/

47027feetneedsocks.gif

Hi snapdragon928! Welcome to the CAL. :cheer

Texapan, I like bright colors. And yellow is such a lively friendly color. :D I'm sorry though to hear that Amarillo is still on fire. I heard some on the news. Is it true that fire season hasn't even officially started yet??

Congrats on your yarn find, Ryaira. :woo

aryanangel88, welcome officially to the CAL! :D What colors are your skeins? And where did you pick up the LionBrand sock yarn? Was it speciality like for Ryaira? My lys doesn't carry much sock yarn at all. :(

Actually my mother bought it for me for christmas and I just have'nt had the time to make anything with them. She picked them up at AC Moores, they actually call almost all of the sock yarn colors. I believe the one I have is called JellyBean, but they just came out with a new color called Lumberjack which is white, black, red and gray I think and it looks really cool. I might have to make 2 pairs of socks.:hook

Ya my mom has been crocheting and knitting like forever, she is a self taught knitted and her mother taught her to crochet. My mother started teaching me at 6. Every christmas she buys me yarn that I want but won't buy for myself. Also she is the queen of patterns too. :)

I am done with my socks!:clap now I need a picture and somehow learn to link and I will be all set. I have a question that someone else asked but I want to ask it too. Is it possible to crochet them in a crochet thread? not the really really thin kind but a thinnish kind. which would be at a two ply yarn or sock yarn equivalent?Can you give me names of yarn? and if there are concerns with this that i am not considering can you let me know? Any good sources of sock yarn? noone has it around here. The knit socks pages recomend a natural blend for socks so you dont sweat and stink in your new socks you know, like wool but wool is itchy. Id like a sock I can wear in my shoes. I seen the in your shoes pattern and the any yarn any hook pattern. I just need a nice natural sub for sock yarn.Well i guess i had alot of questions:eek I am looking at knitting my first pair too i am a little sock obsessed right now.:blush

I'm pretty sure you can order sock yarn direct from joann.com. At least you can in my neck of the woods.

A fingering or baby weight yarn should give you socks that'll fit in your shoes, and might be a decent substitute for sock weight yarn. Speaking of sweaty feet, my socks made from acrylic haven't given me problems yet, and I wear them alot at home, and even to work somedays.

As for cotten thread socks, I don't see where a problem would arise. I think its a cool idea. Especially for summer-wear socks.

Well I've finally done it after a weekend away at the cottage amid the 3 feet of snow and frozen lake scene, I worked away at my first sock. Ended up frogging it a few times then settled on the toes up pattern. Only covers my toes at the moment as I've been setting it aside and working on other things too but its' really looking good.

I have a picture of it up on my blog link should be in my signature if you want to see it. You won't have to dig at all should be the first post as I added the post late last night.

Just adding a link to the direct post!

http://caferyaira.blogspot.com/2006/03/weekend-away.html

That is what I am hoping! I love socks themed socks and all so these will be a great addition to my sock drawer. Not to mention they will make nice gifts for people as I get more done and better at it.

hi i am new here and would very much want to learn to crochet socks. we have a very limited choice of crochet threads here in the philippines, mostly cotton size 8 and 10. would anyone suggest an easy sock pattern to start with? thanks so much!

Hi Jeng! :hi Welcome to the CAL!

Here's a couple of patterns that you might find useful. I don't know that any of them are specifically for thread, but some of the non-guage ones should work fine. Let us know how they work. :D

Archived