Yet another slip stitch and picot question...

Selune

Question

OK. I've been looking through numerous tutorials. Some people slip stitch under the front loop only, some do through both loops like a regular sc.

My questions:

1) For picots where you chain 3, slip stitch into 3rd chain from hook, do you slip stitch under two loops or one? I know it's two loops if you are slip stitching into the sc at the base, but what about when you slip stitch into the chain?

2) For regular slip stitching in a normal row where you normally sc, dc, etc under the top two loops, do you slip stitch under the top two loops as well, or just under the front loop?

3) For picots, do you always do them as it says in the patterns or in a preferred manner? For instance, some call for slip stitching in the 3rd chain from hook, which creates a little picot, and some call for slip stitching into the base sc, which creates a larger picot.

I hope that all makes sense. :think

1 answer to this question

Here are my thoughts:

1. I prefer to go under two loops, as it gives more stability to the stitch.

Going under just one makes it a looser stitch, and picots should be crisp.

2. For regular slip stitching across a row, go under both loops of the stitch unless the pattern states otherwise. The most important thing about slip stitching is to draw the yarn well up on the working part of the hook before you draw it through the loop on the hook. Many crocheters to their slip stitches on the throat of the hook, and this results in a tight stitch that can distort the fabric.

3. Feel free to do the picots the way you prefer. It really doesn't make that much difference. The designer will never find out you changed it!

Jean Leinhauser

Archived