American/Portuguese graphs

jb5562

Question

I have a graph that is from a Portuguese magazine I was just wondering if the stitches are the same for American and Portuguese. I know that the terms for English and American stitches are different but are Portuguese and American the same?

jb:think

here is the link to the doily that i want to do make. http://photo.163.com/photos/goubian0526/53456207/1417080196/

I have received the answer from Lena. She gave me the key to the stitch chart and I am half done with the windmill part now. Thanks for all the help. :yay

7 answers to this question

If it is a pic grapg it shouldn't matter. You are going to have X st across and X st down. So you can tell the size from your beg ch.

What I was hoping is the Portuguese use what American’s use and not what the way they do in England. A double is a single stitch, a triple is a double, this type of thing. I will try it and see what happens.

Thanks,

jb :yes

If it is a graph, it won't matter if American or British terms are used. The symbols show you how many yarn overs to do, so whether you call the stitch an American single crochet or a British double crochet, the symbol is the same. That's the beauty of being able to crochet from a graph.

What I was hoping is the Portuguese use what American’s use and not what the way they do in England. A double is a single stitch, a triple is a double, this type of thing. I will try it and see what happens.

jb, the line-by-line instructions are very brief and are meant to accompany the chart -- you're going to need to work from the chart to make the doily. As faedragon said, the stitch names don't matter, the symbols will tell you what stitch to do whatever you call it :)

Smiles,

Archived