Changing Colors - Fasten off or join?

Chris352

Question

I am not very fluent in crochet. I have only done the granny square and ripple and a few others I can't recall.

I copied a pattern for a basketweave afghan from http://www.wideopenwest.com/~sag55/basket.html I'm reading the pattern before I begin.

It uses 3 different colors and after crocheting 2 rows with Color A, it says

Fasten off. Turn.

Row 3: Join Color B.............. etc.

I prefer to join A and B rather than fasten off A. I'm don't see any reason why I should fasten off Color A. Can anybody provide some insight into this?

Chris

5 answers to this question

With practice- it really is much easier to cut and fasten than to carry 3 colors up the sides. The great part is you can crochet right over the ends so you won't have any weaving to do.

Another reason is because it's the correct way to do it.

A 3rd reason is it looks a lot better.

I've done it that way before when I first started crocheting and I don't think twice about cutting it off and joining it later now.

With the other patterns I have used, I have reached the end of Color A row and drawn Color B through the last 2 loops of the last stitch. I cut Color A, leaving 4 inches. I began the next row with Color B, crocheting over the 4 inch end with Color B in the following row. I would also crochet over the beginning end of Color B. Is that the “right way”? I hope I’m clear.

I always fasten off. It makes a much nicer looking piece. I found that if you carry 2 or 3 colors up the side you can have some showing when you put your edging on

...I dunno if there's really a right or a wrong way to change colors. Imo it's all about what you prefer. Personally I tend towards what Chris352 does, although in the past I've completely finished the row/rnd in one color and then begun the next row/rnd in a different color. Just my $0.02.

Archived