1 Ply lace weight same as Cotton #3?

Noahsmom

Anyone know if crochet cotton size 3 would be a good subsitute for a 1ply lace weight yarn? Is the 3 too large or about right? It's for the Naturally Mist shawl. It calls for the Natural Mist which is a 1 ply lace weight mohair yarn. I'd love to have it but can't afford it so I was looking for a substitute that would still be in the same color scheme.

lace weight is very fine, something more like size 10-20 thread dependsing on wpi (which means wraps per inch, how many times you can wrap it around a ruler leaving no gaps in 1 inch) so maybe check out some specs on that mohair and see if you can find something with a similar wpi number, check ebay there is a seller that sells good lace weight yarns on the super cheap if youre interested http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZknititemsQQhtZ-1 these people sell some cheap lace weight stuff

do you have some size 3 that you can play with to try to get gauge with? Even if not the shawl may just be slightly lager than the original with the size 3

ok I pulled out some lace weight I have here and mine is the size of a 10 thread. :) The lace I have is just very very soft but it is also handdyed silk so that may have something to do with that. I think you would be fine going with the size 10 though. There wasn't much difference at all in mine with those 2 sizes.

I also tried it with a size 20 thread and the 20 was ok too. The lace felt like it was just in between those 2.

So I think either 10 or 20 would be fine to use.

Archived