Slip stitching together an afghan

jessjess

Question

I'm just about to start putting together my first granny squares afghan. I've read a lot of posts and links, and I'm going to put it together by slip stiching the squares to each other.

I don't want to have hundreds of loose ends, so my question is this - is it possible to join the squares by first joining the seams between each of the columns together, and then joing up the rows afterwards, so that there are very few ends to deal with.

So first do:

and then this:

I seem to remember someone mentioning joining like this but I can't find where I read about it.

Will this work?

jess

4 answers to this question

Thanks! I guess I was a bit worried that it might be difficult to join the middle parts of the rows when the two vertical sides are already together. Also, how do you go 'over' a seam?

Maybe it's one of those things that becomes obvious once you start - I'll just

have to finish bordering the squares and have a go at joining them I guess!

jess

I used a sl st (which actually looked like a chain on top). I overlapped the squares and sl st in the BLO. There wasn't really much bulk, so when I joined the strips, I just sl st like I did to make the strips and then I added a border. I'm sorry I don't have a pic, this was way before I ever started keeping a record of what I did, and I gave the afghan to charity.

This is how I have joined ALL my afghans.

When doing the first set of rows, just keep going. I do an extra slip into the corner space of each square - but that's a me thing. When doing the second set of rows, I ch1 over the existing seams. It took me some trial and error to get it all right, but I love this method.

You can add complexity to this by joining the squares on the diagonal - making the lines you create more of a stairstep than straight.

Archived