Crochet and Multiple Sclerosis

Hey y'all :-)

My momma has hinted at wanting to learn how to crochet but, being in the middle of an MS attack of an interminable amount of time, I am looking for ways to teach for someone without a great deal of manual dexterity or mental acuity. She can't knit anymore and I thought maybe one device might be easier than two...

Any suggestions are seriously appreciated, the MS is new to both her and myself :-)

HI Britt, I was diagnosed with MS about 12 years ago, Luckily it was benign, and the episodes have not returned.

I would suggest using a large hook at first and making something simple like a cranny square or dishcloth. I found it easier to hold something as big as a pencil, than a smaller hook.

All the best to your mom and you....oh by the way my daughter is a Britt too (Brittany)

My MS goes in-and-out of remission. And I crocheted before I was diagnosed...what I have learned over the years...I "adjust" my techniques and projects to my ability of the day. I have arthritis with the MS and CFS. On bad days...I use larger hooks and yarn...I HAVE TO crochet every day. I keeps my hands from getting stiff. On good days...I use any size hook and yarn that I am lucky enough to be able to feel and hold on to. Yes...there are days I can't feel with my fingers...but...I keep on hooking!

Blessings to you and your mom!

Archived