Making your own charts

I much prefer crocheting from a chart if possible, but especially vintage patterns just don't have them. I have occasionally made my own up and find them very useful, but a pain to put together. Does anyone know of a grid or perhaps even a computer program for charting crochet? (Although a program could easily be more money than I want to spend.) Or just some tips to make it less of a pain?

Oooooo. So you can put in directions for a projects? Hmmmmm. I don't quite see how this might work, maggie. Directions are set up all sorts of ways but in my pea brain it seems they should be standardized for the program to read it, unless computers really have achieved a human-like processor! I'm going to look it over carefully and see what I get. Thank you! — Oh, wait. I see. It gives you a graphic representation of your picture which would be great for needlepoint. What I am actually looking for is something like this. These are charts for various flowers showing which stitch is used in what order. Charts you can read at a glance instead of having to read lines of type. I still have your site marked, maggie. I'm gonna keep it because as sure as I don't, I'll wish for it a month from now! I LOVE the graph paper. Everything else I could find was heavy black lines and impossible to change. Making the PDF to my own specs is terrific!

I once asked Katchkan (Kathy) who designs lots of thread crochet about it and she said there isn't a good one out there...

There have been many discussions about this (look under "Design Discussion") on Crochetville, but my sense is that there is software for patterns in grid like filet crochet, but not for manipulating crochet symsbols in general (e.g. for making a doily chart). I suppose one can use a general-purpose graphics software like Mayura Draw (not too expensive) or CorelDRAW (more expensive).

Good luck. I prefer working from charts, too.

Well, filet crochet can be done on graph paper with no problem. It just takes a while and seems to always look wonky when I try my own charts for other types of crochet, thought I must say I've used the ones I've made. I think I'm just going to have to get in a different frame of mind here and do it whether I find it pleasant or not. Aside: I wonder what the magazines use? I bought Interweave Crochet last night and noticed they have a lot of charts in it which I appreciate very much.

I wonder if I can talk myself into using the drawing capabilities of Power Point. We've got that. Oh dear! It could be done... but would still be a manual process, if you get my drift. Maybe a pencil and paper is still the best option.

Thanks for weighing in, girls!

Archived