I'm apparently teaching crochet...

I recently started up a crafting/projecting group with a friend of mine. It's quite small, but I have high hopes for it. Basically we just thought it would be fun for a group of young women to get together and craft, and perhaps talk about God a bit, too. Now my friend is moving away, however, and I'm left "in charge" which is challenging, daunting, and exciting all at once.

But I've been teaching some of the cool chickies who come how to crochet! Yesterday was our second meeting. At the first meeting, I taught one completely brand new crocheter, and refreshed the memory of someone who once knew how. Yesterday, I continued to help the newbie crocheter, and taught another girl how to make a granny square. How exciting! :cheer

One of the biggest challenges, though, is teaching the new crocheter -- she's left-handed, and I'm a righty. It gets confusing. Also, I don't know how much to jump in with corrections and how much to just let her work things out for herself. Thoughts?

That sounds like a lot of fun! I think you're on the right track with your lefty, just be patient. Affirmation is very important when teaching, so I always tried not to "over correct", but it's important for beginners to recognize mistakes and learn to fix them, so just keep a close eye and don't let them get too far past a mistake -- ripping out a lot of work can be discouraging. Let us know how it goes for you! :yay

Archived