Blocking "block"

Aaaaargh how I hate blocking / starching / adding finishing touches that take ages!

When I finish a project, I cant wait to go to the next . I guess blocking / starching etc give the finsihed work that "professional " touch. I wish I could convince myself that time spent blocking my doilies is time well spent .

I went through my finished projects "pile" yesterday and it was really heart breaking. So many crumpled sorry looking doilies that looked oh-so-good and simply irresistible in the pattern. I have so many stuffed into cartons ( space constraints ) - its almost like sacrilege.

I need to get more organized , I need to stop procrastination ... I'll start tommorrow :D

My wonderful husband made me a blocking board that fits over our diningroom table. I use it when the urge strikes. Its a piece of styrofoam that he cut with a hot knife to fit the dimensions of the table. Now, when I need to block something, I bring it out, pin it to the styrofoam and then pick up the whole thing to lean against the wall. That way, it won't interfere with dinner, etc. You can buy the large sheets of styrofoam at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Then, you can block all your doilies at once and be finished with it, and feel that wonderful sense of accomplishment while planning your next project.

I don't do thread much. Most of my other stuff doesn't need blocked. If some/most of the doilys are cotton, why can't you just iron them? and if they need it while they're still warm, stretch them into shape as needed? I'd guess that'd take a lot less time then actually wetting things, blocking and pinning them and letting them dry. Also, why startch them if you aren't expecting them to defy gravity?

:shrug

Just my $0.02 worth and probably not much use...

Archived