Teaching Kids

I offered to teach my daughter's Brownies troop (I was about that age when I learned). But I realized that I'm not sure the best way to go about it? Big fat hook with some speed yarn so it's very visible??? Any suggestions??:think:shrug

I think you ought to use regular old sport-weight yarn--I think the speed yarn and fat hooks might be a little awkward for them first starting out. And plus, it's usually pretty cheap so they won't annoy their parents much if they ask for more to practice with. :P You could have them use a large-ish hook though, say a J or K to prevent them from making the stitches too tight. Good luck! :cheer Let us know what you decided to do.

It's recommended to use worsted weight yarn, in a solid, light color (not white, not pale pastels) with the hook size listed on the skein. No novelty yarns. Acrylic is also recommended. Too small a yarn, and the stitches can't be seen. Too big a hook and it causes more problems with tension than it solves.

There are several websites that have recommondations fort teaching children, like the crochet guild (crochet.org, I think). I can't remember the other sites, off hand.

Great suggestions! I'd definitely NOT do a novelty yarn. I'm hardly a beginner and it can be difficult for me. I was thinking of getting them enough yarn that they could each work on a small scarf for themselves, and then maybe help them add some embellishments at the ends (maybe some novelty yarn fringe). Hopeing they can earn a themselves a badge maybe! Thanks for the help! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's great you want to do this!! Here is some suggestions for teaching children from the Crochet Guild.

http://www.crochet.org/teach/toc.html

You might want to pick up some hooks (all the same size) and the skiens of yarn and maybe the troop can reimbursed you for the supplies, remember to keep the sales slip.

I used to be a leader and enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually belong to a group that has a few 5 to probably 10 to 13 year olds...the instructor started out by taking all the kids to pick their own yarn...and then once she saw how they handled hook and thread began to make suggestions...most are doing quite well too...I know I am having fun and am just as new as they are...and for me the light color was best to see clearly what I am doing...with a med? sized hook..

davesbaubie

• 3 weeks later...

I've been teaching my 2nd grade class to crochet at recess and Fun Fridays. They love it. I started them finger crocheting first. Now they are all using hooks. I was surprised how quickly they picked it up. Even the boys love it. Now during storytime when I read to them they all crochet!

Archived