how to add on..

hi, this is my first post!

i'm new to crocheting...learned about a month ago and already i have made 3 scarves and a baby blanket!

now i'm using a bigger hook, P, i think, and i'm trying to make an afghan blanket for an adult! yay me!

i don't know any lingo yet or any abbreviations or how to read patterns or anything yet...but i have a silly question...i'm going to need so many bundles of yarn for this project..do i just connect them together by tying them together? or is there a secret i don't know!

thank you..

There's a trick to it. :)

Maybe this will help: http://www.nexstitch.com/v_changing_yarn.html

In most cases, you're going to want to change yarn color or add a new skien of yarn at the end of a row. When you get to your very last stitch and have only two loops left on the hook, you add your new yarn through those two loops, ending the stitch.

I could probably show you better than I can explain it, which is why I gave you a link to the video.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the world of crocheting!

Although a lot crocheters say you should never knot your yarn I am deathly afraid of making something that will fall apart the first time it's washed. I use this knot to join my yarn. I leave at least 6 inches of yarn to weave in. This thread also has a lot of tips.

:cheer I am a crocheter of 50 squillion years experience and I tie knots to join my yarn.

The only place I do not tie knots is when I am finishing off or if I happen to be sewing something together which does not happen very often.

Another way you can join, at the start of a row, is to completely finish off at the end of a row, as if you have finished the whole thing, then take the new yarn and lay the tail, along with the new tail, behind your work, in the direction you are crocheting. Hook the new yarn in and do whatever CH to start the row, then, as you start, crochet over both tails for at least 6 or 8 stitches.

Now, this only works when you are doing a solid stitch but if you have a few stitches you can cover the tail with, just leave the rest hanging and finish the ends in, on the wrong side, later.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived