Pattern Happiness?

I'm just wondering how often (or seldom) you're very happy with a pattern ... where everything worked out wonderfully from start to finish? The gauge was right on, the joining method was perfect for the item, there were no mistakes in the pattern, the fit was great, and so on.

Do you find lesser-known designers produce better patterns than the publication houses?

Just curious ...

Sadly, for me anyway, rarely. It seems to be the exception, and not the rule, to get hold of a pattern in a mag or book that doesn't have a mistake. Which really doesn't bother me that much except when they are patterns in an expensive book or catalog that I've shucked out some serious bucks for. Along that line, I think it should be said that out of all the patterns I've bought from seller's that are regular crochetville'ers (and oh wow! there are many, because I am maybe a pattern junkie?), only one time did I ever find a mistake in one, and it was very minor. Which leads me to believe that our designers here, who are selling them off their web sites/blogs or on Ebay, are much more diligent about making sure there are no mistakes, than big name catalogs and book folks. ANYWHO!!!

I tend to crochet tightly, so pretty much never use the hook suggested in a pattern, and I have crochet ADD really bad and can get tired of a project pretty quickly. But that's just a weird character trait of mine, and should have no bearing on those lovely people who actualy design these things for us to make.

So in closing, I would have to say, based on my own experiences, that I have found that lesser known designers, or designers that are selling for themselves, tend to have better quality patterns than those who are selling through big name publishers and mags. But that, again, is just my experience. I know that some of our 'viller's have been published in some of the larger publications, so it makes me wonder do the errors happen during the editing/typesetting?

I bought the book called, Vintage Styles for Today, from Lion Brand yarn co. and so far, every pattern in the book is wonderful. I have only tried the crocheted patterns so far (I don't knit well, and the knitted patterns are a bit above my ability) but they were wonderful. I recommend this book, or any Lion Brand pattern, to you whole-heartedly.

I currently feel that way about the Moonlight Sonata top in my Annie's Favorite Crochet mag. I haven't finished it yet because I didn't get enough yarn for it but it's such an easy pattern and fun to do.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Archived