Wooly Knob Mills

Guest SamplerLady

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifRebecca, I think it was you that asked me about where I sent my wool to be processed. I told you Wooly Knob. If you still are considering having wool processed, don't send it there. :grumpy

I sent my wool there in early August and just got it back last week. I tried to be very neutral as I kept e-mailing each month and I kept getting excuses and then profanity. It was very disheartening.

I asked about turn around time for other mills on a spinning list and found out others had the same problems with Wooly Knob and four months for five pounds of wool was outrageous. :grumpy

:sheep Recommendations for processors (and I've heard about these people before, alas too late for me) are: Spinderella's and Ozark Carding. No personal experience with either of them, but I guess paying the bit more they ask for is better than wondering if one will ever see their wool again! :grumpy

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI'm not sure.... :irked I'm not sure if a processor is supposed to remove vegetable (vm) or not. If they are, then, no, half my wool wasn't good. :huh On the up side, half of it is gorgeous. Same wool, same sheep, same fleece yet half is full of "stuff" and half not. Go figure.

I'll buy "ready to spin" from here on in.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI generally buy Brown Sheep beast at my local spinning store. It's $10 a pound which is the least expensive I've found it anywhere. And I don't have to pay for shipping. It's great for spinning, easy for the newbie and good for the experienced. It's a creamy white and dyes easily.

I suppose when my tastes change and I want to start buying "exotic" stuff (meaning anything but Brown Sheep Beast) I'll have to start doing some research. I did by some corriedale on ebay but the seller said it was a one time deal.

How about if we start a topic with our reviews on suppliers? It's always nice to send more customers to someone we're pleased with :D (as well as warn about others) :( Maybe we can get a "thumbtack" so it stays visible all the time for newbies that join us!

Yeah, no problem to get a thumb tack. :)) Get one started with a title that is pretty clear to what it is and one of us will come along and stick it up there. One of these days I might want to give it a try and it'll be great to have easy access to that kind of information. Thanks! :D!

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifThanks, Julie, I added the topic. Rebecca, I put my LSS (Local Spinning Store) info there, too. Julie, think you can move my first post over to the new topic or should I cut and paste? :ty

Unfortunately I can't combine two posts, there isn't a way to do that. Feel free to cut and paste though if you want, or I can do it (but someone might ask me a question and I won't have a clue LOL). Also, I've stuck the post up twice with the thumbtack and it then becomes unstuck later. I believe this to be an ezBoard bug, don't worry I'll just stick it again. I'm stubborn that way. :tryme

Archived