Hat Problems....

I keep finding patterns online for hats to make. I make them and it seems they aren't long enough for the babies that I make them for. I made one from a book that I got from the library and followed the directions precise and it doesn't fit anything like the one shown in the picture!

What could I be doing wrong?

Did the pattern suggest a row gauge at all? If so and your row gauge is smaller that the recommended you will need to add more rows.

Even if the pattern didn't state a row gauge that's likely the problem. You might crochet differently than the pattern designer.

The most likely cause is that your gauge is off. Maybe you crochet tighter or looser than the person who wrote the pattern. Even when using the exact same hook and yarn, a person's individual crocheting style can make a big impact on the pattern.

But sprtsbear is right... if they're too short, just add a few rows. If they're too tight, then you'll have to do another round of increases.

The good thing about baby hats, though, is that they're so quick to make, even having to frog half the thing won't cause you to waste too much time.

:hook

Archived