Class on Felting

LadyyOftheOak

Ok I've felted a couple of things at home and love the process :clap My EC at Michaels wants me to try to do a class on Felting and I'm all game for it, but all of the felting I've done at home has been in my washing machine and very low fuss. I know there's a way to do it on the stove with a big pot and hot water.. is there a certain temperature the water has to be? Is there a set amount of baking soda to use to open the fibers up? I've always used detergent at home.

What I'm hoping is to do a class for more advanced students who know how to crochet or knit, let them make a small project while we're there and then hold their hands through felting it and putting it together. Anyone done a project like this in class? Is there anything I should be careful of? :think

My suggestion would be to hold two classes - the first to go over the project details (like a bag) and get them started on the pattern, and to go over the home washing maching felting and drying/shaping instructions. Bring lots of samples of felted bags and swatches to show before and after. Then they can go home and finish the bag and felt it according to your instructons (you'll need a handout to send home with them).

For the second class, I would have them bring back the felted bag and assemble (poke the holes in the bags for the handles, sew on buttons, cut buttonholes for the closures, etc.)

My suggestion would be to hold two classes - the first to go over the project details (like a bag) and get them started on the pattern, and to go over the home washing maching felting and drying/shaping instructions. Bring lots of samples of felted bags and swatches to show before and after. Then they can go home and finish the bag and felt it according to your instructons (you'll need a handout to send home with them).

For the second class, I would have them bring back the felted bag and assemble (poke the holes in the bags for the handles, sew on buttons, cut buttonholes for the closures, etc.)

I agree with what Sherry wrote. You'd need an awfully big pot and it would take a long time to felt on a stove.

Write up the felting directions and send them home with a partially completed bag to finish. Also go over handles... will they use purchased ones, or crochet them on or???

Good luck!

Joan

How long does it take to felt something in a big pot (which I have) ? All I usually do is run it through a wash cycle which isn't that awful long in hot water lol Is there a temperature it needs to hit to felt the yarn?

Archived