Mile a minute 'ghans - can several people create the strips?

Last year, I started a crochet ministry at my church. While the group has been very successful (we've made 5 comfortghans in a short time frame), I'd like to "mix it up a little" for variety.

Our comfortghans measured 36 x 48 inches and were made up of 12 inch granny squares.

A few members ventured into non-granny type squares but we were basically making "squares". I chose the larger 12" squares because I don't particularly enjoy joining squares and, as the joiner, it seemed to go faster for me.

To make a long story short, some members have expressed an interest in making "mile a minute" comfortghans. I love making these strips and, in theory, it seems like a good idea. It would build on their granny square knowledge (most of the members had never crocheted before) and the MAM technique should be easy enough to teach. I'm concerned that we wouldn't be able to make our "strips" the same length because of differences in gauge.

Has anyone else tried "mile a minute" patterns with each person making the individual "strips"?

If so, what worked well and what didn't?

Thanks.

Yes! A few years ago my Girl Scout troop did this as a service project. Just make sure that your gauge is similar so that they are the same length. The girls enjoyed it and it worked out great.:cheer

Kim

I would think that would work !! Just make sure everyone does a gauge swatch first to make sure that you all about the same. or if like a few people are way bigger for say divide the group into 2 groups with all of crocheters of one gauge working on one ghan and the other group working on a second ghan. It would take a little bit longer but then you would have 2 ghans.

Suzan

There is an organization called warm up america. They have a site, http://www.warmupamerica.org (or it may be .com). They have a few patterns there. I too have a crochet ministry at my church with brand new crocheters, but they are leaning more towards making smaller items such as seafarers caps, bunnies, and any small easy item you could make a pin or magnet out of. Good luck with it.

Archived