Questions for a crochet tutorial

Hi everone!

I am just starting to do a little bit of research into different methods for holding the hook and yarn, and other little things like the starting knot, weaving in ends, joining a new color and even grabbing the yarn. I am amazed at how many different methods there are! I don't have a name for all of them yet though. Does anyone know of a website with pictures and names of different holds? I am looking into making a crochet tutorial and want to be able to explain a couple of the different holding methods so that those who watch it can pick the one best for them. I use the knife hold, and I know the pencil hold. But I have seen some others I can't name.

I was also just trying to figure out the difference for a left handed crocheter. It's pretty much just backwards right? They work from left to right instead of right to left, but they still have to insert hook in hole, yo, pull through ect. If there is anything else I should mention about crocheting left handed I would appreciate any imput.

Thank you! Have a great day.

Amber

I'm left handed and yes, I go from left to right when I crochet. On most patterns it really doesn't make any difference. The only time there's a problem is if there is a graph (chart) to follow. I solved that by importing the chart into Photoshop and flipping it horizontally. When I did bead crochet ropes, my ropes spiralled in the opposite directions than everyone else's... got a chuckle out of that!

When teaching someone to crochet I find it is easiest to sit opposite the person and have them mirror what you are doing.

Joan

I don't know about a site but I have to admit that I was self taught and according to the "older" ladies who have watched me crochet, I'm doing it wrong. I don't think there is a right or wrong way but only the way that feels the most comfortable to the individual. (remember this is coming from someone that has been told repeatly that she doesn't crochet right) :think

Good luck on your efforts.

Archived