Fishing line/clear beading thread?

Tracey4610

Just had a thought--has anyone tried using either of these to make snowflakes? If so, how did your work turn out? Was it a mess, or were you successful? After looking at a bunch of snowflake pics, I was just thinking how mere thread doesn't quite do them justice. sure, they're pretty, but what about something with a similar sheen?

I have used fishing line - not for snowflakes, but for crocheting - and I don't think it would work well with most patterns, because you can't really block it.

I have carried a thread of metallic sewing thread with my thread, or used metallic embroidery floss, and both work well (especially, in my opinion, the carried sewing thread, since it adds just a hint of glimmer, without taking away from the snowflake, and it blocks better, IMO).

I would love to see any pictures from those brave enough to try either of the two, though!

A few years ago (sorry don't have any pics it was probably more like 15 years ago) I made a bunch of snowflakes with fishing line and tiny clear crystal beads to put on top of presents (I gave them all away).

The fishing line was a bit stiff to work with but they did turn out beautiful and were stiff and sturdy. I always wanted to make a dozen or so for my tree because the luminesence of the light shining through gave them a very airy, frosty effect.

Beading thread would probably work well but might be a little more limp? when completed. But that would all depend on the thickness of the thread.

Thank you for bringing this up, I had all but forgotten about doing this. Might have to break out the fishing line:hook

Archived