Copyright Question

clearwaters

Question

I don't sell things, so this isn't really a problem for me. Just a curiosity. :D If you combine two patterns; take some from one pattern and some from another, is the finished item still a copyrighted object? Or have you created something completely new?

2 answers to this question

My best advice on copyright is to visit one of these links, probably starting with the Copyright Lite link. I think the rule is if your design is 20% different from the original design, then it becomes your design, but definitely check the sites above to see if they can help answer your question.

Okay, thanks. Like I say, it isn't a matter of concern for me. It's just that I sometimes have problems understanding what a pattern is asking me to do. I get just so far, then go off base. Then I look around for a similar style and may end up finishing the project with parts from another pattern that I find easier to finish.

Just did this with a poncho. I liked the yoke on one particular pattern. But after that, I just couldn't seem to follow the directions. I found another poncho that had a similar appearing body. Just picked up those directions at some point where I felt the yoke would be ending.

I'm really happy with the finished project. But it got me to wondering if I'd really created something, or just managed to mangle two patterns in a usuable manner. :lol

Archived