i've been asked to teach....

i've been asked by my local high school's adult education program to teach a class on crochet! :hook i know what book i'd want to use as a textbook (SnB Crochet by Debbie Stoller) and i figured out that i can use craft cord and a Q hook to demonstrate technique... but as for supplies and projects i'm at a loss! and because of this, i'm not sure if i want to even take up the offer!

should i ask the students to buy their own hooks and yarn? should i go out and buy some cheap hooks and bargain yarn and sell it to my students? should i let them borrow my hooks? should i use it as a way to rid myself of scrap yarn? :yarn

as for a first project. i was thinking of teaching granny and afghan squares and sewing them up into an afghan to give to a local charity. and maybe some hats to teach crochet in the round. or even coasters to be more simplistic. or even cotton granny squares that they can use as dishcloths.

i've never taught a class before, and i've never even attended a class! i've taught my friends and my mom some stuff, but that seems so different!

any suggestions?

most ppl are going to want to keep the frist thing they make I say go for a square pot holder ...as far as supplies you can give a supply list when the students sign up but give the option to buy a "kit" from you (state that these need to be preordered) That way you wont be spending $$$ that you won't get back ...

most ppl are going to want to keep the frist thing they make I say go for a square pot holder ...as far as supplies you can give a supply list when the students sign up but give the option to buy a "kit" from you (state that these need to be preordered) That way you wont be spending $$$ that you won't get back ...

didn't think of doing the kit thing. since registration is done by mail and i have a small space to work with on the flyer i can say "kits will be included with class, lab fee of $$$ is due to teacher on first day" and when i get the final roster i can go out and buy some kits the day of the class and return whatever i don't sell.

thanks for the idea!

Archived