? on finished chest size

CrochetRT

Question

When a pattern says finished chest size, that means what the piece measures around, correct? I don't know why I'm having trouble grasping this today :think -brain problems, I guess.

I'm making a dress for my daughter- her actual chest measurement is 23 inches. So, if the chest measurement for the pattern is 22, 24, 26 inches, then I should choose to make the middle size, right? I feel like a dumbo :blush but thanks in advance for any help!

5 answers to this question

Yes - finished chest size is what it wraps around when it is complete. The middle size would be my choice for a 23" chest. Now, if she was going to be wearing anything of bulk under it, I'd go for the larger size, but since it is a dress, the 24" should be perfect

:cheer Yes, you probably need to use the middle size at least.

Remember that children get bigger, not smaller so allow for growth.

:hook The general rule of thumb is, Measure the chest and choose the pattern size which is the same.

The pattern should allow for fit so will actually measure a couple of inches bigger to allow for fit.

Some modern patterns allow a bit more because the fashion is a looser fit.

Of course, if the pattern writer is not a "Professional", they may work from a different set of rules.

Some patterns say, "To fit size 24 inch chest...." Actual measurement 26 inches.....

Hope this helps.

have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived