Anyone Got an Idea??

suttygirl2005

Question

I would like to make a cowl neck poncho the only one I have found is knit and I cannot figure out not even with the articles I've read how to convert. There is so many talented crocheters here can anyone just tell me what I could do at the top of a triangle shaped ponch pattern to make it a cowl neck?? I would really appreciate some help:blush .

Oh and also does anyone know of a large cool looking crochet stitch?

Animation5night.gif

My Website

7 answers to this question

Okay, this isn't cowl necked, but might be modifed to one. I would think if you want this one cowl necked, you might increase the stitches at the neck line.

I would crochet around the neck using the front post/ back post technique as you go around, decreasing similar to this, only using double crochet, not half double crochet every 10 or 12 stitches evenly around as you go until you get to the size of the cowl you want. (It may take 2 or 3 rows of decreasing evenly to get the size cowl you are looking for). The front post/back post will give a ribbing effect that looks great. Once you make the cowl the length you want, you can fold, or roll it like a cowl.

Its worth a try. If it doesn't work, you can always call in the frog! :)

I agree with Bagpipe on this one, the link they posted to the Lion Brand "Crocheted Style-Savvy Poncho" would be good to work with to modify to a cowl neck. A couple things I would do differently though, if you are looking for that typically open neckline, I would mark the opening for the neck larger, and continue the neck to appx. 10 inches (as opposed to the 6 inches it recommends) to give it that fullness and rolled/folded appearance.

Good luck, and be sure to post a pic when you're done!!

Kayla

This 'ponchette' would be easy to work with also, www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lionbrand/index.fcgi?page=http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjif-styleSavvyPoncho.html starting the neck (after finishing the rest of the poncho and assembling) with the pattern stitch in back loop only AROUND the whole neckline for one row, then switching stitching in both loops for as many rows as it takes to acheive your desired look.

Good luck again!

Kayla

Hi Sutty,

In the latest issue of Crochet! there is an advertisement on one of the first few pages for a boucle poncho that has a kind of large turtleneck collar. I'm not sure if it's close enough to a cowl neck. Very pretty poncho. The name of the pattern book is "Bernat Urban Flair." I have not seen it in the stores just yet, and I don't even see it on their website yet.

Archived