Is there any way to find out when you hooks were made?

mva5493

I was going through some hooks that my neighbor gave me, I don't know how long she had them, but she told me that a friend of her gave the collection to her after the friends mother passed (the hooks were her mothers). Anyway the nieghbor is 79, and I have known her for 10 years. Anyway the hooks I am wondering about :

wooden hook10" 9 1/4 mm US 13

susan bates plastic off white hook with red dome shaped end size e

susan bates size d (says .25 with the logo)

Boye size k (.49 with boye logo)

not sure about the last one it is a 14" hook with a ball on one end, says hero-h on the end with the ball

I was just curious when hooks were .25 or .49 because they certainly aren't that price now.

That's so funny this is on here.... I just inherited some hooks from my g'ma and one of them is stamped with the price as well. It's 25 cents...lol. I'm sending an inquiry to Boye to ask them. I just want to know how long this hook has lasted! I figure it's got to be 70's... that's the last time I remember my g'ma with thread...

wooden hook10" 9 1/4 mm US 13

susan bates plastic off white hook with red dome shaped end size e

susan bates size d (says .25 with the logo)

Boye size k (.49 with boye logo)

not sure about the last one it is a 14" hook with a ball on one end, says hero-h on the end with the ball

I was just curious when hooks were .25 or .49 because they certainly aren't that price now.

With the exception of the last one your hooks date from the very late 1950's to the early 1960's. Prices of hooks changed after WWII from five cents each to 10 cents each and started up from there.

The Susan Bates platic one dates from approximately the same time and is a plastic called luxite that is supposed to simulate bone. The size is actually a 6 as these come in sizes 1-6.

I'll get back to you on the Hero hook, I'll need to check my references and they are at home (I'm goofing off at work).

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a size 4 steel or aluminum Boye thread hook that says 40 cents on it.

(I would have used the cent sign, but my computer keyboard doesn't have one!)

Anyway, I bought that one in 1973. That and my aluminum boye size g, (same year, but no price imprint), are the ones I reach for most.

How do you tell how old the hooks are? About 6 years ago, my grandmother gave me my great grandmother's thread hooks (they were in an old alka seltzer screw top bottle which is old itself). My grandma said that great grandma had these hooks for a long time but she couldn't find her afghan hooks. I didn't know if there is a way to date them or not. Some of the hooks are so small that I almost got crossed-eyed just looking at them.

How do you tell how old the hooks are? About 6 years ago, my grandmother gave me my great grandmother's thread hooks (they were in an old alka seltzer screw top bottle which is old itself). My grandma said that great grandma had these hooks for a long time but she couldn't find her afghan hooks. I didn't know if there is a way to date them or not. Some of the hooks are so small that I almost got crossed-eyed just looking at them.

If you will tell me the brand of the hook and what is on the flat part I might can date them for you.

Thanks for the information. I think it is cool to know a little history about these hooks. The lady that gave them to me didn't remember exactly when they were given to her. I wasn't born when any of those hooks were made if the dates are correct.

(I would have used the cent sign, but my computer keyboard doesn't have one!)

Someone on another Forum gave me the secret to producing a cent sign on your keyboard. Hold down the alt-key and while it's held down, enter the number 155. The combination of keys gives ¢ .

• 4 years later...

Now I just had to look through my hooks , most of which belonged to my mother. I have a Boye E 39c, H 50c, G 45cand J 60c. I think she probably purchased these in the late 60s or early 70s because I remember her working at a yarn shop about then. When she passed, my sister annd I went through boxes and boxes of her yarn stash but we weren't much interested then. How I wish I had saved all that yarn!

Archived