Felt coat?

knikki

As I was shivering on the way home because it is way tooo cold out for my fall jacket, I thought "I wish I had a felt coat like my dear husband does."

Since I had been reading all about felting today, I began to wonder "Is there anyreason you could not felt a crocheted sweater and make a coat?"

So has anyone tried this? I will need to wait a long while before I do. I have made one wearable in my life (a baby sweater) and never felted at all (thought I plan to before the end of the year, and hopefully before christmas.)

Since I had been reading all about felting today, I began to wonder "Is there anyreason you could not felt a crocheted sweater and make a coat?"

The main problem would be predicting how large to make the item, and controlling the amount of shrinkage. But it's definitely possible. I've seen 'Boiled Wool' Jackets for sale in stores and catalogs... they are actually felted (fulled) wool.

It's probably not a good choice for your very first felted item. A purse is more forgiving... it doesn't have to be an exact size.

Joan

Archived