Before I Felt For The First Time. . .

goodtaste

Hi Everyone! I am almost done with a hat that I want to felt for my Aunt who lives in Colorado (almost always under snow at this time of year). But I have read different felting patterns with different felting instructions (which have only served to confuse me somewhat). :think What is the best method for a beginner (that doesn't use a washing machine)? :blush

Thank you very much! ;)

Cloty

I have been felting a lot lately and I hate to tell you, but felting without a washing machine takes forever. I have been worried about the amount of "fuzz" that has been coming off my item (even though they were in pillow cases)and in my washer, so I tried to felt one tote bag by hand. I put hot tap water in a bucket and used a new plunger and started to plunge away.....25 minutes later, I had worked up a good sweat, and my tote was hardly felted. So, needles to say....I am going to wait til I have 5 or 6 items that need to be felted, then I'm going to the Laundramat. My washer is only 2 years old and I don't want to ruin it.....but I have been felting 5 or 6 items at a time....more than the average person.

If anyone has a better way to felt by hand....I'm all ears!

Archived