afghan pattern - large hook

Dani

Question

Hi there all, pretty new to the site.

I'm in search a afghan pattern that requires a larger hook, I'm looking for a big loopy airy afghan pattern that works up pretty quick.

I don't have a huge collection of pattern books but those that I do have don't have many large hook patterns.

I'm wanting to do one more afghan before Christmas as a gift but I know this person will not like a heavy afghan.

Hope all that made since? *grin*

2 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI love using the diagonal box stitch with two strands and a size N plastic hook. You can see pics of my latest one made like this in my blog in the early October entries. It's not very airy, but nice and warm, so it may not work for this particular gift.

Try crocheting a chain approximately as long as you'd like the afghan to be wide (or long). Dc in eighth chain from the hook. *Ch 2, skip 2 ch, and dc in next ch.* Repeat from * to * across. If there are any foundation chains left at the end, don't worry about them right now. Chain 7 and turn.

Subsequent rows: Dc in next dc, *ch 2, dc in next dc* across. Repeat until afghan measures as you'd like.

Go back to the first row. If there are any chains left from the foundation row, pick the unnecessary stitches out. Give a tug on the tail to tighten the stitches. Weave ends in. Add fringe if you like to the afghan.

This pattern (basic filet crochet) works up nicely in stripes changing colors at the end of an number of rows you like. It works beautifully in a solid color and is fun in a varigated yarn, too. Very quick, very versatile. Can be fun or elegant.

Archived