bushy stitch help

mslilypond

Question

I am doing the 63 squares for a heirloom afghan, and am being confused by square 13 - the bushy stitch

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mslilypond/bushystitchrow1.jpg

the above is a link to a pic of the first row of my bushy stitch,

I've indicated with words and arrows (black) of what I am pretty sure are the chain spaces. the orange arrows with ?'s are my question, are those considered chain spaces when I start row two?

the pattern reads:

row 1(right side): (DC, Ch2, sc) in fourth chain from hook, *skip next 2 chs, (2 dc,ch2, sc) in next ch: repeat from * across

Row 2: Ch 2, turn: (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in first ch-2 sp and in each ch-2 sp across.

I've frogged this thing so many times it's not funny.

Thanks for any help!:D

7 answers to this question

I'm giving this a go, although I'm not good at looking at pics and seeing what's wrong...

However, I'm working this up and my swatch looks different. Are you *sure* you've done row one correctly?

I don't think the black arrows are pointing to the chain spaces that are for the second row, if that's what you intended to do.

The orange arrow on the left should point a little more to the right...and up a bit. That's the chain two, I think.

And the way mine's working up, the orange arrow on the right is not needed...no stitch goes there.

Can't wait till someone else comes along and tells you what you *really* need to know...like, the answer. :lol

OK - I've been looking at it for a bit. I don't think your black arrows are pointing to the chain 2 spaces and that is what is messing you up. The row 2 instructions are referring to the ch2 spaces from row 1, not from the foundation row of chains you started with. So, the chain 2 spaces should be in-between your 2dc and the sc from row 2. Does that make sense?

And it also looks like to me that row 1 isn't correct towards the middle...it looks like you began leaving the ch2 spaces out. The first two sequences on the right hand side look right, but then it looks like you weren't doing the ch2 spaces anymore. As to what your orange questions marks are pointing at...those aren't ch2 spaces. It looks like from reading the pattern that there is a dc stitch on each end with the stitch groupings in-between.

This is so hard to explain through words! Am I making sense at all???

I

However, I'm working this up and my swatch looks different. Are you *sure* you've done row one correctly?

I don't think the black arrows are pointing to the chain spaces that are for the second row, if that's what you intended to do.

The orange arrow on the left should point a little more to the right...and up a bit. That's the chain two, I think.

. :lol

Nope I'm not sure I did row 1 right :think I'm about 50% sure it is.:hook

yes I did intend for the black arrows to point to the chain spaces, should they be up more?

The scanner squished the yarn a little on the left sign, I just put an arrow in the general location.

Do you have or could you post a pic of your swatch?

OK - I've been looking at it for a bit. I don't think your black arrows are pointing to the chain 2 spaces and that is what is messing you up. The row 2 instructions are referring to the ch2 spaces from row 1, not from the foundation row of chains you started with. So, the chain 2 spaces should be in-between your 2dc and the sc from row 2. Does that make sense?

And it also looks like to me that row 1 isn't correct towards the middle...it looks like you began leaving the ch2 spaces

This is so hard to explain through words! Am I making sense at all???

yes you do make sense, I did frog it to check and I did have chain 2's, all the way through (it's okay about me frogging this it's not the yarn for the blanket itself, just a practice piece, that may become a dishrag:D

I think where I've been screwing up is the using the foundation row space as the chain 2 space and using the spaces where I have orange arrows pointed to.

Thanks bunches!!!!

I am doing the 63 squares for a heirloom afghan, and am being confused by square 13 - the bushy stitch

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mslilypond/bushystitchrow1.jpg

row 1(right side): (DC, Ch2, sc) in fourth chain from hook, *skip next 2 chs, (2 dc,ch2, sc) in next ch: repeat from * across

Row 2: Ch 2, turn: (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in first ch-2 sp and in each ch-2 sp across. Thanks for any help!:D

It looks like you did two dc to start but When you start the first row in the fourth ch you only do one dc ch 2 and sc.

After that you do the 2dc ch 2 sc in the 3rd stitch. The ch 2s are what you did after the 2 dc before the sc.

When doing the second row your ch 2's will be after the scs before the dcs.

Like Natasha said your ch is one over from where you have the orange arrow on the left of the swatch. And the orange arrow on the right isn"t the ch as that ch is considered the first dc.

post-10430-135897439085_thumb.jpg

post-10430-13589743909_thumb.jpg

I'm doing the same afghan and have had trouble with #13 and #9 (I think.) I have been doing patch 13 over and over and I'm not sure if you do the stitch in the ch 2 on the end (the last busy st) or not. I did several rows, and it looked uneven and growing in width. Is it possible that something is missing from the directions???

Archived