Figuring out pattern from picture

MidnightandOreo

Question

5 answers to this question

Guest SamplerLady
Is it not kosher to try to figure out "commercial" patterns? I'm not planning to sell it; just give it to my daughter.
mmouseplus.gifI think its great to try and figure out a pattern from a picture. Where, IMHO, it gets shady is when asking someone else on-line in a public forum to do it and then sharing it with others.

Most of us are not inspired enough to be able to manufacture a pattern out of thin air. :D We see things and then sit down and figure out how to make it. Understanding how they are made comes with spending a lot of time crocheting different things and seeing how they are constructed and what technique gives what effect, etc. Also spending time playing with different stitch patterns so when you see one you can recognize it or at least understand how it's done.

The hat you're questioning about is constructed from the top down, sc for several rounds and then groups of double crochets. It is very similar to the DC Solid Skully mentioned. I'll bet if you sit down, with a picture of both in front of you you can figure it out. :D

My challenge now is trying to figure out how to increase and decrease a stitch pattern such as the many different kinds of shells so it can be used for hats, bags and such.

Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer, right? :rolleyes It seemed "gray" to me, too, but I don't trust my figuring-out abilities yet. I guess I need to just take a deep breath, jump in, and not be afraid to make mistakes and start over, eh? That Skully pattern is remarkably similar, and I think I will try it with a tweak or two. Thanks!

Archived