Jacquard Silk Colors -Dye Help!

stormyautumn

I just found some Jacquard Silk Colors Dye in my craft box that I had purchased at least 5 years ago. I have been reading a little about dyeing here at Crochetville, but mostly the kool-aid method. Does anyone know how I would use these? Do I need a mordant and what kind? Are there any special considerations? Basically I know nothing!! :think Any help would be great. I have yet to do any of my own yarn dyeing, but I am realy excited to try.

Here's a link for you. And another one.

Looks like you can use the dyes on both silk and wool( likely any protein fiber: alpaca and llama too) You either need to steam set the dyes or use a special fixative they sell.

I found the links just doing a simple google search so I am sure there is more out there how to use jacquard dyes.

I guess my specific questions are:

Do I need to treat the yarn in a mordant solution before I dye it. Or is that what the steaming does afterward? I would be doing the painting sort of method as there isn't enough dye to submerge.

Then do I still have to heat it in the microwave and such? Well, I guess that is the steaming, right (although it does say to steam 24 hours after using the dyes)?

All the info is talking about doing silk resist type painting. So I just don't know what I would need to do for yarn!

I can't give you a definitive answer but since wool is protein fiber as is silk. Since the silk doesn't require a soaking solution I don't think you need to soak the wool.

I might soak the wool in water then ring it out before so the dyes will soak up in the wool. That will likely give a more water color effect.

They did suggest you pre-wash the silk with synthrapol detergent but I am not sure you want to do that with the wool because you might felt it.

I have ever used these dyes before either but based in my tie dying experience I would mix the dyes as suggested and let the dye soak then use the fixative that's recommended rather than steaming unless you can recreate that in the microwave.

I'd take let's see what happens attitude. If I get a fantastic result then great if not maybe I learned something along the way.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I have used the silk dyes to dye wool yarn and so far have had good success. I have been using the microwave method some use: I put the dye on where I want or dip in some watered down, and then wrap the yarn up in plastic wrap and microwave several times. Cool then rinse out. I have had good success so far. Now to see how it holds up over time, fading etc.

Archived