Returning yarn

Badtz_maru

I was going to make a baby blanket for a friend and decided to try the Lion 1lb skeins. After a few rows I decided it was just wicked fugly yarn: coarse, dull, frizzy... but I felt bad that I had started using it... then I ran across breaks that had been tied together and that really sealed it. I mean, what's the point of buying yarn by the pound if its full of breaks and knots? So I frogged what I could, there were a few yards I couldn't frog (frizzy, hairy awful yarn), and stuffed it back into the skein (center pull) and took it back to Joann's as defective. I didn't want someone else to buy it because it was a few yards short AND it was defective. I told the girl twice or three times and I even said "you're not going to put it back on the shelf are you?" and she just said "As long as it has the wrapper it's ok". :no

Do you think I should have handled it differently? I'm sure it went right back on the shelf and now someone is going to buy it and feel violated when they get to the middle and find that someone else has used it and returned it, don'tcha think? :(

If you told the girl it was defective then it's the store's problem. Short of calling the manager and telling her what happened there isn't anything else to do. You were right to return it, sounds like a crappy skein. I hate getting into a skein and then finding a knot but I have even more when you get a little farther in and find another knot.

Unfortunately sometimes they would rather put it back on the shelves. I know when I worked at Michaels we would have a heck of a time untangling Fun Fur when it would get all jumbled up in their horrible metal racks. Several times we would "re-wind" balls of yarn back together that were definately NOT full skeins but didn't have a choice. We had to do what they told us. The Manager said that returning yarn to the company wasn't really possible for a credit unless an entire shipment was defective.

If this happened to me, I would have contacted Lion Brand personally and seen if they would have just replaced it for you. When that happened to me once with a Caron one pounder, I contacted Caron and was sent 3 replacement skeins.

But as the other poster said, you made the clerk aware of the problem. It's not your fault!

P.S. I think I'm going to start bringing my scale with me when I go yarn shopping to make certain I'm buying a full skein! LOL

Archived