63 Squares & 63 More Square ?

laurastar0962

I ordered my books rom an e-bayer and waiting to recieve them. I would like to order the yarn. Can I do the 63 more with an aran yarn? Or will it be too heavy?

I know the colors for the 63 blanket (ecru, rose and green) but can anyone tell me what brand yarn it is? I would like to purrchase the yarns from knitting-warehouse today, but I would really like to match the brands.

Thank You,

Laura

What do you think o the quick yarn? Would it be too thick? If I got the regular simply soft i think i would get the offwhite/sage/plumwine. I was also thinking of the offwhite/soft peach/soft green. My color matching skils are bad, do you think they would go?

For the 63 more, I was thinking of Lion brand isherman wool. I also wonder i this is too heavy, or maybe I should just make an aran type blanket. Love to here all imput

Laura

Well, if you used the Quick yarn, you'd have a really big blanket when you were done! Thinking back, some of the squares are tricky, so consider if you really want to work with a bulky yarn while trying to work those kinks out. My personal opinion is that it would look better in worsted weight. Either of those color combos sound nice to me.

I haven't done the second 63, so I can't say too much about that, although it might be kinda expensive to do it in Fisherman's Wool, unless you have lots of 40% off coupons to use.

I haven't done the second 63, so I can't say too much about that, although it might be kinda expensive to do it in Fisherman's Wool, unless you have lots of 40% off coupons to use.

I am currently working on the 63 More afghan and am using Caron 1 pound yarn in a Soft Sage color, it's worsted weight and it's going to take me about 7 skeins of it. I did the first 63 in Red Heart Super Saver yarn. Yes some of the squares are a bit on the heavy side and if you where to use Wool I think it would make it even heavier.

One thing to concider when choosing yarn for an afghan (so I've been told) is how much you think it's going to have to be cleaned? The worsted weight can just be tossed in the washer and dryer with no problem, the Wool would have to be taken to the cleaners. No sure about the Aran.

I hope this helps in making your decision. P.S. your color choices sound good to me as well.

• 11 months later...

I am not in this CAL, I made my 63 afghan 2 years ago from scraps. However the booklet does state worsted weight, and I think a heavier yarn would loose the effect needed with some of the lacier stitches. I think you need to stick to the worsted weight or lighter. The trick is to make sure your squares are all the same size, the booklet calls for 7" squares, and the patterns worked in the round are the key squares. You can add a stitch or a row to the line by line patterns, but have to be more careful with the rounds. So no matter what yarn you finally feel comfortable working with, keep checking your gauge.

Archived