Uh-Oh. I sewed the handles on wrong and felted them!

Okay, it is me again, and I have screwed up yet again with this felted purse.

I felted it last night, it was still a little wonky, and the button looked bad, but overall, I was okay with it. Then, before bed, I was looking at it and realized----Duh!

:bang

I sewed the handles on wrong. Each handle is basically two circles attached by a rope. Instead of attaching one handle to the front with two circles then the other handle on the back with its two circles, I attached one circle from each handle on the front and on the back, so the handles are facing the wrong way. Maybe I'll have to take a picture :blush of my stupidity so you can see it.

How do I fix it?I thought about getting out a sharp knife and trying to saw/cut one circle off the back and one off the front and then sewing back in the opposite cases, but I am afraid cutting like that will be obvious and ruin the bag.

I don't know what else to do. I bought some buttons at the antique store, but now I am stuck staring at this bag, a reminder of my stupidity. My only excuse is that I was trying to sew and watch Nascar at the same time . . . :blush

Nicole

All is not lost. I'm not sure how you attached the handles, like did you make a tab or were they sewn on? You can cut felted items without them falling apart. Then you can re-attach the handles properly and do a little hand felting just on the new stitches. If you made a tab for the handles, you can cut the tab at the top of the loop and then sew it closed and hand felt those stitches. Nobody will ever know what happened (except us because you told us:lol)

Sorry to read about your boo-boo. We all make them from time to time, with me, it's more often than not, lol :blush I hope you will be able to fix the problem.....I promise we won't tell.

Thanks Daisy and Chrome Kitty--I still feel silly, but a little better

I took a steak knife and sawed off two of the circles, and in the process sawed a hole in the bag. I freaked out at first, but kept going, and after that it went more smoothly. I ended up sewing up the hole and felting that area again, good as new. Then I sewed the handles on properly and felted the new stitches again.

I did this in the kitchen sink in water as hot as I could stand it; the whole purse got a little more felted in the process, but that is fine--it was a little big.

My bag is wonky. I am going to stuff it with rolled up towels to try to make it less obvious, and sew my new button on.

Perhaps i will post pictures of it. It was my second purse and second felting project. I can definetly say I have learned a lot! :)

Nicole

They say that experience is the best teacher. In your case.....you have become quite the expert. You were able to salvage your bag and get it right! I admire your determination in wanting to get it right. You may have had a little battle with the bag.....but in the end you won! :cheer :cheer :cheer:clap :clap :cheer Best of wishes to you!

Daisy.

They say that experience is the best teacher. In your case.....you have become quite the expert. You were able to salvage your bag and get it right! I admire your determination in wanting to get it right. You may have had a little battle with the bag.....but in the end you won! :cheer :cheer :cheer:clap :clap :cheer Best of wishes to you!

Daisy.

:manyheart

Thankyou, Daisy!

Nicole

Don't feel silly....I did the same exact thing! I didn't realize it until I went to put it over my shoulder and found that it didn't work quite right!

I cut my handles and resewed them with yarn. I don't think anyone else knew except me!

I try not to sweat the small stuff. Most of the time I can figure out a way to salvage my mistakes.....I make a lot of them!

Don't feel silly....I did the same exact thing! I didn't realize it until I went to put it over my shoulder and found that it didn't work quite right!

I cut my handles and resewed them with yarn. I don't think anyone else knew except me!

I try not to sweat the small stuff. Most of the time I can figure out a way to salvage my mistakes.....I make a lot of them!

Well, that does make me feel a lot better! At least i'm not the only one. :)

One of the things I have learned about felting is that the felted item can stand a lot of abuse and be repaired almost invisibly (even if you cut a hole in it)---that is pretty convenient. i think there is probably almost anything one could fix with a felted item.

Nicole

Archived