Books, books, books

Oh I am in chrochet book heaven! :)h I went to our very tiny base library this morning to return my overdue books :blush , and not thinking this small library would have much if anything I asked the librarian anyway about crochet books.... she said yes we have one and pointed me to the shelf. I found not just one, but EIGHT! :clap I snagged em all. I had thought when I went in that they'd have to request some books from some of the bigger libraries in the system and I'd have to wait, so finding these was a bigtime bonus :bounce I now have lots and lots of nifty paterns to look over, stitches to learn, and who knows what else, I've only peeked at two of the books so far, already loving those! I'm going to make a fresh pot of coffee, grab some practice yarn and sit down on the couch for a day of fun :knit (just pretend she's crocheting lol)

Marvie

Guest Yarnentangled

Lucky you! I love purusing the library for crochet books. Unfortunately my library has outdated stuff or maybe all the good modern books are checked out.

So I go to Barnes and Noble and see whats hip and happening in the world of crochet books and then go on ebay and buy what I want for half the cost of the brick and mortar stores. Although I did buy "Simple Crochet" by Erica Knight recently because I just was antsy to have it and didn't feel like waiting for it to come in the mail.

I live in a fairly big city...Tampa, Florida...and it is a shock to me that the public library system has such a very small amount of crochet books available here >: They have tons of knitting and needlepoint books, but for like every 20 knit books I am lucky to come across 1 crochet book. :worried

Oh, cool! I usually have to get anything I want to read on interlibrary loan since the library in my town is teeny-tiny. I swear they haven't gotten a new book in years apart from the county's rotating new book collection that cycles through all the branch libraries. Right now I'm waiting for Hip to Crochet to come in - there are maybe 5 copies in the entire regional library system and I'm number 7 on the list. (I hope the 6 people before me don't keep it *too* long! :fc )

Guest Yarnentangled

You're right about there being very few crochet books out there. I just purchased "Hooked on Crochet" at my local yarn/craft store. There were zilions of nice knitting books available but only :mad ONE :mad crochet book. Even the little Leisure Art brand pamphlets are mostly for knitters.

What really gets me miffed is when some bright eyed book maker puts out a book for knitters and crochet but the crochet is just an afterthought. As if crochet is only good for trimming a knitted garmet. :irked

Well, upon looking more closely at the books, I actually got seven crochet books. I musta been high or something because I saw Crochet and knit and it said CREATIVE knit... :oops But hey, it's still a good thing lol. I spent the afternoon pawing through them all, learned a couple of things, post-it noted LOTS of pages of things I want to make or try. I'm happy :)h

The books aren't exactly ummm modern lol they are from the 70's and 80's, but since I've never even looked at a crochet book before, they're new to me :)) Once I've played with these I'll go to the other base where the bigger library is and see what they have, and check out the ILL just to see what's available.

I'm guessing there's so many because well, there isn't a whole lot to do over here, not for most of the wives anyway. If you have little one's and you're stuck in the house ya gotta have something to keep your sanity right? I bet there's tons of crafting books of all sorts lol.

Well, I think I'm going to go try to get some :zzz once again. Maybe this time I can actually sleep.... if the cats will let me that is...

Marvie

Archived