needing some technical help: bandwidth and photo size

RebeccaVelasquez

Dang. I was going to send you to a free online jpeg optimizer, but the site's been taken down temporarily ( www.jpegwizard.com - just in case they ever put it back up).

The only thing to do really is mess around with settings to see if you can get them smaller (in file size, not in height/width) without a visible loss of quality. That was the only free tool I knew of to do it - do you have any graphics software? A couple that I'm familiar with are Paint Shop Pro (jasc.com, and I think it costs about $79 these days - the jpg optimizer is a little buried but it has one), and LView (lview.com, which unfortunately isn't free anymore - last I checked they wanted about $40 for new versions).

But if you have any graphics software at all, chances are there's somewhere you can change the compression settings for .jpg images. A lot of times the default settings (like with paint shop pro) will optimize things for you so you don't have to mess around with the settings, though.

Just as an example, I grabbed a photo off your site (I'll delete them off my server once you've seen them :) )

and opened it with paint shop pro, then saved it with a different file name. (Didn't do anything to the settings, just saved it with Paint Shop Pro's default settings.) The original is 151k, and the new one is about 40k - I can't see any big difference between the two:

Original photo - 151k

scarf003.jpg

Smaller file size - 40k

scarf.jpg

YAY! i can't see a difference at all:D!

i have no idea what kind of software that is on this new computer (blasted thing!) which one is the newer one? i saved them both already and will switch the one you fixed on my photobucket acct. thank you for the advice... i'm going to make hubby look at this on lunch (i sure wish his school would get done so he can fix my problems :eek ).

:ty

Glad to help :))

I went back and labeled them - the bottom one is the one I re-saved that has the smaller file size.

Once you find out what software you have, I'm sure one of us here can probably tell you where to change the settings so you're not saving things as super-high quality - that's good if you're printing your photos, but on a computer screen there comes a point when it doesn't make a visible difference.

Rebecca, I have a rather new computer and it came with Microsoft Picture It! software, which is what I use to post my pictures. One day I might upgrade to Paint Shop Pro, but that would take away from my yarn money :faint so I'll use my free software. :)) In the program, I have the option to save a copy for email, web, etc. and when I do that it automatically saves it at a smaller size (between 30 & 50 k). You might check your HP software under saving options and you might have one similar.

Oh, I'm glad there's still a free one out there! I bookmarked the link for next time I run into someone who needs one - all the ones I've seen in the past seem to have gone to pay versions...

Rebecca, I'm about to go delete those pics of my server, but if you didn't get a chance to save the smaller one and still need a copy of it just let me know and I'll put it back :)

Archived