Help with baby blanket

cityscape

Question

Have any of you tried to make this blanket? I've been having a really hard time making it lie flat. The pattern has an obvious mistake a round 4, where it has 24 ch-3 spaces when it should be 12. But once I get into the pattern rows, it just won't lie flat. I've counted the stitches, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm making it as a baby present for my cousin, and I just can't see the baby lying on a bumpy blanket. Has anyone else had luck with this?

4 answers to this question

Can you post a pic of what your piece is doing? Is it curling or bending or folding in on itself? Sometimes its a problem with your tension, sometimes its the stitch count, sometimes its the hook...and sometimes it just has to wait until the entire piece is finished. You may even have to block it once its done.

Lets take a look...

I am working on this too (once I get a nasty snarl out of my yarn ball) and have found that if I DO NOT "slip stitch into next stitch" which is the first instruction on each round, it works MUCH better. It just wasn't working before that. For the popcorns, I was holding together two strands, one sportweight, the other lacinette and find that the popcorns are too puffy. I think I may just do 4 triples instead of the recommended 5. Anyway, I saw that the designer is a member here, but she hasn't posted anything on my thread about help.

That round 4, grrrrr! That was so annoying until I realized it was 12 instead of 24!

LMK how yours is progressing. I'm going to post a pic of mine to show you.

I am working on this too (once I get a nasty snarl out of my yarn ball) and have found that if I DO NOT "slip stitch into next stitch" which is the first instruction on each round, it works MUCH better. It just wasn't working before that. For the popcorns, I was holding together two strands, one sportweight, the other lacinette and find that the popcorns are too puffy. I think I may just do 4 triples instead of the recommended 5. Anyway, I saw that the designer is a member here, but she hasn't posted anything on my thread about help.

So, are you just moving up a row without doing the slip stitch, or are you saying you do the slip stitch at the end of the row, but not the one at the beginning of the next row? I'll try that and see how it looks.

As far as the popcorns go, I originally tried them, but they were way too puffy. I pictured a baby lying on them and decided that it just wouldn't be comfortable. So I pulled them right out. Mine will be popcorn-free. :blush

When I get home, I will take pictures. I've actually started a second version too using a bigger hook, hoping that might help. Not sure why it would, I just figured that since I couldn't figure out what was going wrong it might be easier just to start again from the beginning. I'll take pictures of both.

It's nice to hear that someone else is having trouble with this one. I thought it must just be me. Good luck with yours!

Archived