inc./dec. in shell stitch

tee-dee

Question

Can anyone tell me how to increase and decrease in shell stitch?? I've been admiring some bikinis from Croshayqueen and I thought I could figure them out on my own. :think Little did I know that I'm not really sure on the best way to do the inc. and dec. to give them really great shaping. Thanks for the help!!

9 answers to this question

I'm bummed out theres no response to this! I was going to ask how to do a decrease on a shell, and thought I would find my answer here! I'm making a shawl, no pattern, and I'm using a 4+3 multiple. OK, the first row all sc, the second row is 2 sc, ch 2, skip 2 sc, repeat...

third row is 4dc in ch 2 sp, ch 1 repeat. Does that make sense? You just keep repeating rows 2 and 3. I just don't know how to decrease this. Any help?

Thanks,

:cheer I am sorry that you did not get a reply to your question.

I am not sure that I can give you an answer without actually trying a bit of the stitch and I do not have enough time to do it right now.

I should be able to have a proper look tonight so watch this space.

To go on with, sometimes a decrease can be done by working 2 STs together or by simply missing a stitch, or by missing half a pattern on one row and the other half on the next.

I will work out which one will best suit your situation.

Colleen:hug

:cheer I have a few more questions.

I can get the first row as all SCs.

I can get the 2nd row as the 2SCs then CH2, ending with 2SCs

How do you start Row 3?

Is it CH 4 to stand as 1DC and CH1?

Or, do you go right into the 4DC into the first CH2 SP, ending the row with a SC into the end of the row?

When you repeat Row2, do you SC into the top of the DC and into the SP, then CH2, 2SC into CH1 SP?

If I am guessing right, this is not a very easy stitch to decrease so my next question is, Do you really want to use this stitch or would you like an easier to shape pattern?

I will look in again in the morning to see if there are some answers.

Colleen.:hug

I'd like to get help in understanding how to inc. and dec. in shell stitch so I could do something similar to croshayqueen's strawberry hotcake bikini. Therefore, I'd prefer to do a closed shell stitch because it looks so pretty and would give the parts that need covering some coverage!:blush I have just tried to guess what to do and the edges don't seem to be coming out right. I was using the 6+1+1 foundation ch and then the 5 in one stitch shell pattern if that makes any sense and hopefully it will help get me the help I so desparately need! thanks so much for any ideas you can send my way and a big thanks to aggie for making such an effort to help out it is deeply appreciated.:hug

I have the same problem about decreasing with a shell. My mom helped me do a hat, and she said I should decrease one shell in the next row. Well, I know how to decrease when I am doing double or single crochets, but how do you eliminate a whole shell?

:think If you actually have a pattern, doesn't it have instructions on how to shape?

A Shell between Shells is easy to shape.

Here is how.

Work a CH as long as you like.

Work 1SC into 2nd CH from the hook, SK 2CH, *5DC into next CH, SK 2CH, 1SC into next.* Repeat * to * for as many times as you want. CH3 turn.

Next row, Work 2DC into same place as CH3, *1SC into centre DC of the 5DC Shell, 5DC into next SC.* Repeat * to * ending last repeat with 3DC instead of 5. CH1 turn.

Next row, 1SC into same place as CH1, *5DC into next SC, SC into centre DC of 5DC shell.* repeat to end but doing the last DC into the top of the last DC. CH3 turn.

Repeat the last 2 rows for the pattern.

You are doing a row of full shells and a row with a half shell at each end of the row.

(This makes a nice dense pattern, especially for a Bikini.)

To decrease, at the start of a full shell row, miss the CH3, then Slip stitch to the centre of the first Shell, complete the row, ending with SC into centre of last shell.

If you want to keep decreasing, keep repeating this row.

Let me know if you need more help

:cheer I have a few more questions.

I can get the first row as all SCs.

I can get the 2nd row as the 2SCs then CH2, ending with 2SCs

How do you start Row 3?

Is it CH 4 to stand as 1DC and CH1?

Or, do you go right into the 4DC into the first CH2 SP, ending the row with a SC into the end of the row?

When you repeat Row2, do you SC into the top of the DC and into the SP, then CH2, 2SC into CH1 SP?

If I am guessing right, this is not a very easy stitch to decrease so my next question is, Do you really want to use this stitch or would you like an easier to shape pattern?

I will look in again in the morning to see if there are some answers.

It is a chain 4, sorry I forgot that. And yes, you would just do your sc's across the top of the shells. The way it is supposed to work is that your chain 2/skip 2 is over the spot where the shells join.

It's a neat stitch, I've only ever done it for a straight back and forth piece though. I thought it would be nice for a shawl with a larger hook, but apparently not.:no I so appreciate the time you have taken to look it over for me. Thanks so much!:manyheart

Aggie May, Thank you for explaining about the decreasing of a shell so clearly. I made a baby bonnet, and the way the pattern was written, it didn't come in at the front; it looked too loose and shapeless there. My mom said to decrease a bit, which I did, but also to decrease a whole shell. (she is in Philly and I am in toronto). Now, I know how to do it. Thank you! You have helped me twice now, and I am sending you big hugs.

Archived