have wool - thinking about my first project

theworm

I'm not sure what I'm going to make first, but I have a question - does the initial crochet work need to be tight? Can I use HDC or DC? Is it possible to do an open pattern - like a row of V stitch or something - or will that just fuse as a mess? If it works, it might be cute to have a row of open windows at the top of a bag.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say about this, as I'd like to try some varied stitches as well. My last bag I did both sc and hdc, and the hdc seemed to not felt at the same tension as the sc (it wasn't as tight). However, it didn't affect the end result, and in fact made it kinda different and original. I'd say, full a swatch in your chosen stitches, and check the results. You can always use the swatch (if its made large enough) as a pocket on the outside of your finished bag (IF its a bag you're making!). As for the hook size (tension), most will say a larger hook is best (K), but I used an I on my last bag and it turned out great with very little stitch definition showing through. I think the yarn you use makes a BIG difference. I used Patons Classic Wool (Merino), which felts extremely well. Some yarns require a looser tension to adequately allow the fibers to rub against each other and facilitate the fulling process. The bag I'm currently working is with a J hook, and the swatch I made looks just fine. I'm using Cascade 220 wool yarn, paired with a fuzzy novelty yarn, with a super bulky handspun yarn as an accent. It took longer to full in the washer than the Patons, but I really like the end result... better than the Patons. Lots less fuzz on the Cascade 220 (the yarn by itself, WITHOUT the fuzzy novelty yarn added).

Have fun! You'll find it's really addicting once you do your first project. The transformation is really quite miraculous.

Debbie

Actually, crocheting looser and with a larger hook felts better. The way to tell if something is truly felted is to no longer be able to see single stitches, so just do a stitch that feels comfortable to you. With the exception of a bobble stitch, or I-cord, fancy stitches will just disappear.

I've used Cascade 220 with an M hook, using half double crochet, and it felts up beautifully. after about 2-3 runs through the washer.

Have fun!

Joan

Lunatic sent me some solid blue wool - its thin but really nice, and my sister gave me some varigated blue that is really thick. I may try to use the solid blue and do just an edge and maybe a pocket with the multicolor.

I'll let you know how I do. I hope to try something simple this weekend.

Hi Joan,

When I said I was thinking about different stitches to full/felt, I was thinking more of a fpdc or fptc in a contrasting color, to add a color design to the pattern. I've seen it a lot in knitted felting projects... patterns using color and varied stitch combinations. I realize the stitches themselves won't be visible. The object is to use various stitches to achieve a unique pattern of color and/or texture. It's something I think I'll try next time. I have so many UFO's at the moment that my goal is to tackle/finish those before proceeding to the next fulling project... but I do want to try it out. Also I have a felted ripple bag pattern I'd like to try that looks very interesting.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie!

I'm actually planning to start this project today as I finished up all my UFOs last night. I have blue wook from lunatic and some pretty blue varigated wool that my sister sent, to I'll try to do some striping. I'll be back to report my success or dismay. :)

Good luck Wormie! Have fun... Look what I found on Ebay... this felted purse appears to be made from a granny square. Debbie

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cutie-Pie-Crochet-Felted-Bag-Pattern-PL0129824_W0QQitemZ8210017578QQcategoryZ3095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks! I just finished crocheting the tote bag and I really like it. I'm sort of scared that I'll ruin it now, but I'm going to try to felt it. My biggest concern is that I combined two different brances and weights of yarn, and I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Guess I'll know soon!

Archived