Need help with round ripple

simonssez

Question

I'm trying to work this pattern....

http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html

it only goes to round 9. judging from the pattern...round 10 should be 5 dc's, skip 2, 5 dc for the main part right? so then round 11 should be 6 dc, skip 2, 6 dc right? but after round 10 i still only have 5 places to dc in for round 11. this is project that i need to get finished asap as the recipient is leaving in a few weeks but i keep having to frog back to round 8/9 and keep getting stuck at 10/11. any help appreciated!

20 answers to this question

OK, I guess I'm still lost then b/c you said rounds 11 and 12 would be the same as round 10, 5 dc - skip 2 - 5 dc.

eta: I just re read your tip and I think I see what you're saying. The row part will actually repeat 3 times (ie: 10, 11 and 12 will all be 5, skip 2, 5), but the difference will be in whether I'm doing a large or small shell?

LOL! We all win here! :cheer It sounds like everything is working out perfectly now! :clap I'm happy that everything has been straightened out. Colleen......I'm glad that you noticed the revision, I would never have caught that! :think:eek Ya'll have a great week!

Daisy.

Yes daisy...that worked like a charm! Sorry you were waiting around last night. I have to go in spurts with 2 small kids and my hubby on patrol! LOL And the baby was a bit of a cranky one last night so I didn't get as far as I'd have liked. But, I digress...it's flowing smoothly now. I think I took the last row or two of the pattern to look at and repeat, not really thinking I needed to look at the entire pattern including the rows and not just the shells. Yay!

:hug:cheer By George Daisy, you are right.

Now I know that this is the very pattern that I sent you the link for but I see that it is not exactly the same as the one I used for my Round Ripple.

I see at the bottom of the pattern it says it has been rewritten 11/05 so maybe the person changed the original instructions.

:cheer We can probably all be right in the end as long as the afghan turns out OK.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, One of my favourite sayings is, "I am not always right but I am never wrong." My kids believed that for many years. Now the Grandchildren fall for it.

Hi Colleen, I guess this pattern is harder to describe in writing, than it is to actually work up, lol! The round ripple I made, lays as flat as a pancake......The pattern reads....after row 9, to continue working in rounds, alternating 2 rows of small shells and 2 rows of large shells. The increases seem to just fall into place when you continue to work in the established pattern. I guess it's all in how you interpret the written instructions. I didn't have a problem and you didn't have a problem.....and I found the pattern to be very easy. Hmmmmmmm :think

:cheer Daisy.

Sorry to disagree with you but it is one row with the small shell and 2 rows with the large shell.

You repeat the 3 rows over and over.

As you say though, if it comes out OK, that is all that matters.

If you do 2 rounds of no increasing, you risk it turning into a very large hat.

Have fun ladies.

I know what you mean about those patterns that suddenly quit on you and expect you to know how to finish it or interpret their design. Hmmmm. I'm gonna go have some dinner now, but I'll be back shortly in case you get stuck. Good luck!

OK...that makes sense to me now. I'd done several rounds yesterday but to me it didn't seem to fit the pattern. But I'm not very good with ones like this that alternate but only walk you through a certain spot and then let you take over! LOL Hopefully I'll be posting pics of a subs n stripes round ripple in a few days. I really appreciate it!

Okay, let's ingnore those increases for the moment......as long as you are alternating the 2 rows of small shells and the 2 rows of large shells, the increases will take care of themselves.....as long as you are making sure that you are putting a dc in each designated dc inbetween the shells and the skip 2. Do a few rounds and see how it works out. I'll stay available to help you.

Daisy.

i have an aunty lydia's crochet thread pattern for a lovely top.

materials are..aunt lydia's "shimmer fashion crochet" 2 ounce/124 yard balls

or J&P coats Royale "luna fashion crochet" 2ounce/124 yard balls

and i need 8 balls for a medium size

what other thread can i use

zul

No no no no..........it is still 2 rds of small shells and 2 rounds of large shells (not 3 ) .......the increases will take care of themselves. try it and see......if you are still finding a problem we're here to help.

Daisy.

Hi Colleen :waving .....Together, we can help sort out this pattern. When I was doing the rows, I just remember to increase after the 2nd row of large shells....my round ripple came out perfectly. it's on my blog.

OK, that DOES make sense now. Thank you both for your help! So in essence, when the directions say to work 2 rounds of large and 2 rounds of small alternating...it should actually be 3 rounds large, 2 small...and the increase will take care of itself due to the shells, correct? I was thinking that might've been the problem but didn't want to get too far ahead of myself and have to frog yet again. Back to the blanket I go! LOL

Here's another tip that I noticed while working this round ripple: When you work the small shells, as in row 7, you are not increasing any stitches. Now, after you finish the second row of small shells, you are still not increasing. Remember, you are alternating two rows of small shells and 2 rows of large shells. So, after your first round of the large shells, you still are not increasing....that's why you wind up with the same number of dc's for 3 rows. After you work the second row of large shells, you will notice the one dc increase. Are you getting this? If not, I will try again......ask your question.....I'm listening.:hook

:cheerYou do two rounds with the increase which is when you do a point of 2DC, CH2, 2DC into the point and on the 3rd round you do a point of 1DC CH1 1DC.

If you increase on a round that you should not have, it is no biggie, same if you dont increase on a round. Just make sure the whole round is the same, then make sure you correct the next round by doing the one you missed.

If you increase on every round it becomes too full on the edges, so they have you increasing on 2 rows and not on the next.

Forget about counting how many DCs you are doing and just concentrate on always skipping the correct 2 STs at the valley (One off each group)and doing the correct shell at the points.

If I remember right, when I did one of the ones I did, I changed colours every time I did a round with no increase, that way I remembered where I was.

This is a very forgiving pattern so, if you happen to make a small error, it can sometimes be corrected on the next round by either adding a stitch, if you have left an increase out, or decreasing a stitch if you have added one where you shouldnt have.

Does this make sense?

The main error I have seen people making on this pattern, is not joining the rounds correctly.

You must join with a Sl St into the top of the CH3 from the start of the row, then sl st into the next stitch before you start the next round with the CH3.

Yell if you need more help but I am sure that Daisy will help you as she has just made this herself.

Have fun.

Okay, here we go.......You are right on round 10....it's 5dc, skip 2, then 5 dc. Round 11 and 12 will be the same as round 10. Round 13 will be 6 dc, skip 2, 6 dc. The reason this is happening, is because the increases don't pop up until after the second row of the "large shells" (2dc,ch2,2dc). It's like you are increasing every 4th and 5th row. Does this make sense? If you are still confused.....let me know and I will try and help you.

Daisy.

Thanks so much Daisy! I can't seem to figure out why my increase isn't working and I've gotten snagged at the same spot now on three attempts.

I am going to help you with this, because I just finished this very same pattern. Give me a minute to go look at my finished project and count those stitches on row 10.

Archived