Poncho Help

sameena

Question

5 answers to this question

If you usually crochet consistently and your gauge is usually on, I'd use a hook a size or two smaller, maybe a G.

But since its a poncho, the size isn't as critical as a sweater.

Here's what I'd do:

Changes noted in red.

1st row: ch 84 Ch 68 join to form a ring, ch 3 dc in next 2 ch, ch 2, skp 2 ch, dc in next 3 ch, (ch 1 ,skip one chain, dc in next 3 ch)4 3 times. Ch 2 skip 2 ch dc in next 3 ch . (ch 1 ,skip one chain, dc in next 3 ch)4 3 times. Ch 2 skip 2 ch dc in next 3 ch. (ch 1 ,skip one chain, dc in next 3 ch)4 3 times. Ch 2 skip 2 ch dc in next 3 ch. (ch 1, skip 1 chain, dc in next 3 ch) 3 2 more times, ch 1, join to top of beg ch 3.

Repeat 2nd row for pattern you will have 4 space increase per row like a granny square.

2nd row: slip stitch across first 2 dc, in ch 2 space ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc. *ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space 4 3 times ch 1, 3 triple crochet, ch 2 ,3 triple crochet in next ch 2 space*. Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space 4 3 times. ch 1, 3dc, ch 2 ,3 dc in next ch 2 space repeat from * to * once. ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space 4 3 times join to beg ch 3.

ie...3rd row you will ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space 5 4 times.

But before you do any of that, make sure the beginning ch 68 will fit over DD's head. ;)

If it's still not small enough, the next size down would be to ch 52 and do one less repeat than the red numbers.

:cheer The only difference is the length.

Just use the pattern and stop when it is long enough. Put a draw string at the neck to pull it in, if it does not have one already.

The other thing you could do is get a finer yarn and a smaller hook and it will come out smaller.

Really though, the difference in the size of children at about that age is usually the hight.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Thanks for the poncho pattern. I want to do one for my 7 yr old niece. I think I can follow this one.

Let me know how your turn out.

Archived