Waffle Weave Stitch?

photojenic

Question

9 answers to this question

Does this one look like the leaflet? You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page. The image is clickable, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't give very clear directions.

http://members.aol.com/crochetwithdee/typesof.html

Yes, that's it! I followed some directions I found here at the Ville, but it didn't look like it was coming out correctly. Then I tried something different, it was the wrong stitch, although it's easier (for me) and still gives a nice padded result.

So I went back to the original directions and realized that the stitch really requires me to use an ultra loose tension. I'm wondering if it would look better and work up faster with two strands?

The OP in the first set of directions recommends using an L or M hook. However, I don't own either size, and I think they only come in those RH plastic hooks. I tried an N hook and it was too loose, then a K and it was better, but it was really difficult to get my Bates through the unworked loop from the previous row. I can see how a pointy Bates hook might work better for this stitch.

I worked up a small swatch, but I can't decide if I like it or not. Anyone make anything useful with this stitch? Is it worth the trouble?

I really like that stitch! If anyone can get more info I'd be interested. It looks like it'd be great for afghans and jackets.

I just used this stitch in my current project. It's really quite easy and there is NO WAY you should spend $6 for it!!! The "post" is where I had problems, because I didn't know what it was, but it is just the length of stitchs below the loop you would normally crochet into. The single crochet is harder to find the post in (I think there are instructions on about.com or Annie's Attic or something that shows how to crochet into the post of sc, but dc and tc posts are easy. Stick your finger up through the hole after the stitch and the length on your finger is the post (do you get that? I don't know if I'm explaining it right). Just crochet as normal...I'm using triple crochet for mine because it gives enough length to the stitches that the weave look really stands out.

If I didn't explain well enough, let me know and I will take some pictures and post them :)

Mali

If I didn't explain well enough, let me know and I will take some pictures and post them :)

Mali

Mali, I'm a little confused. :think I don't remember having to crochet into any posts for the waffle weave. Are by chance referring to the basket weave instead?

Sorry, you're correct! I was doing basket weave. I clicked on the first link that was identified as the basket weave. I so have to stop posting when I'm up so late LMAO. The basket weave worked great. Sorry, Jen!!

If I figure out the waffle weave (now I'm on a mission), I'll be sure to post what I find.

Mali

Archived