Shop Etc: Halter w/detachable necklace holding it up

Wow. Here's an idea I hadn't seen before. In the current Shop Etc, in addition to yet another single-page spread page of crochet accessories (this is something like the fifth such magazine spread I've seen this season), there's an editorial pic of a Ralph Lauren crochet halter top where there isn't a tie around the neck; instead, it's all held up by a necklace that's a bunch of strands of turquoise beads. The top of the halter is folded over on itself to make a tube, and the necklace is threaded through it; you fasten the necklace to hold up the top, or take the necklace out and wear it by itself.

Since there's nothing new under the sun, this probably isn't a completely original idea, but I've never seen it before and it's kinda brilliant. Granted, the brilliance works on any halter, not just crochet, but still. Kinda makes me want to design a knockoff. By which I mean, repurpose an existing public-domain halter pattern by making a few more rows on the top to fold over, and forgo the strings altogether. Oh, and make a necklace. Dang. Maybe I won't be knocking this off after all, since the necklace has to be the right length or the whole thing won't fit right.

Anyway, it's the first surprising thing I've seen in a long time.

Elissa

Archived