Pattern Help Needed-Long Vest

CrochetCatskills

Question

I'm making this in size Large

http://web.archive.org/web/20010624070051/www.cei.net/~vchisam/groovy/7708.html

and I need a little help, please!

I'm down in the Armhole area, did row 1 & 2 repeated 3 more times until I had (5) spaces left..... are you with me so far? LOL ok, now it says "work even until piece measures 8 inches.

questions are:

*work what stitch or stitches?

Do I repeat the beginning alternating rows 2 & 3?

(cant use the other two they are decreases)

*for 8 inches total or more than what I have so far?

Also I know I'm going to need help with the "Back" portion too so I might as well ask now, :hook

*what does this mean?

it says

skip 4 spaces for underarm and work even in pattern on center (18) spaces for 8 inches.

thank you so much

_____

cindy

5 answers to this question

Yes, you would repeat rows 2 & 3 until you have 8 inches from the beginning of the armhole.

As for the back, it is telling you to join the yarn after leaving 4 spaces for the underarm and work those repeat rows (2 & 3) for 8 inches from the beginning of where you joined the yarn, but be sure to stop your first row 4 spaces before the other front for the other armhole. Does that make sense? But, let me give you a tip, which you may already know. I would not go by a measurement at the back, but by how many rows you did for the front. That will assure a good fit, in my opinion.

thanks so much, let me get this straight.

So, i do the entire front, both sides,8 inches total, then go to the back....

find the beginning where the decreases started, skip 4 spaces for underarm, then do the same amount of stitchs as i did the front from where i started the armhole? up the back, right? and i stop and leave 4 spaces on the other side of the back next to where the other decrease started...

____

cindy

Cindy, I think we're on the same page, but let's make sure. Yes, you do the whole bottom portion of the vest and both fronts. Then you join the yarn (leaving 4 spaces for the underarm) and work across until you are 4 spaces from the other underarm. Then you crochet as many rows as you did on each front from the underarm to the top. And there you are!

:cheer Start the front as per the pattern, then put a marker at the same place on the other side, then put markers where the back starts and finishes. Carry on and finish the first front, then with the correct side facing, do the other front, then do the back. You will already have your markers in place so it should be straight forward. (Make sure you check that you have the two fronts exactly the same by matching them together after you have done a few rows of the second front.)

I have several, very similar patterns, from the 70s. I used to make lots of them to sell. Also shawl by the dozen. Those were the days.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived