Sign in to follow this  
Catana

Overdyed wool

I'm not sure the colors will come through because the changes aren't extreme, but here's a photo of some brown wool that I overdyed.

brownyarns.jpgOn the left, the skein on top is overdyed, the bottom is the original, sort of dingey, brown. I used a pack of Lemonade Kool Aid, but that didn't do anything, so I threw in some Mango that I had left over from another project. The result is a more golden tone. On the right, the cake was overdyed with red Kool Aid, but I don't remember which one. It came out deeper and richer than the original brown, but not really red.

Just a side note: Having inexpensive yarn to experiment with is just one more reason for recycling thrift store sweaters. If a color turns out really awful I can throw it away (hasn't happened yet). If I'd paid a fortune for some yarn, I'd have to use it no matter how ugly the color was.

Way cool, thanks for posting that! I have purchased some stuff to dye and hopefully will have the energy to take some pics tomorrow of the weekend projects!

I want to overdye some stuff soon!