Increase hdc at both ends of row, halter top

shalalagirl

Question

I am making a simple halter top for a child, and am confused. I want to INCREASE by 1 stitch at the END and BEGINNING of each row. Sounds simple, because I know how to increase, but here's what happens:

I inc at the beg of row by making a hdc in the first st rather than the second stitch. (Because in hdc and above, the turning chain count as the first st, so you usually begin by stitiching in the second stitch.)

Then, at the end of the row, I do 2 hdc in the last stitch.

But, the work looks lopsided, because the beginning of the row looks straight on the edge, and the end of the row looks like it's supposed to, getting a little longer. I'm afraid if I continue with this pattern in that way, it will look straight on one side and staggered (like it's supposed to) on the other.

Any help with this?

3 answers to this question

:cheer Do the CH at the beginning as usual, then work 2HDCs into the place where you would normally put the first HDC, then when you get to the last 2 sts, do 2HDCs into the next then 1HDC into the top of the turning CH.

This keeps the increases away from the edge.

Same when decreasing, always do them, where you can, away from the edges.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Also remember that the increase at the end of the row is actually going into the top of the turning chain. But if you are doing it in EVERY row, it shouldn't matter.

Archived