Help.................

Auntcut

Question

4 answers to this question

I would start by letting her make chains till she is comfortable holding the hook and yarn.then make samples of singles and samples of doubles

Once she can do that I would suggest do washcloths and dishwashind cloths.

Hope this helps.

Corky

At this age, she will lose interest very quickly, so keep it short. Have her do chains, but you might want to let her just play with inserting the hook and pulling it through, kind of like freeform. Think of it as fingerpainting in kindergarten versus formal impressionist art. Once she masters some chains, I agree to do simple lines of sc. She'll let you know if its too much, by her level of frustration, so keep it light.

I would also suggest using a large hook and very chunky yarn, so she can really the 'parts' of a stitch. You might also let her use her fingers, instead of a hook, so she can really uderstand the 'structure' of a stitch.

Good luck!

I had to beg my daughter to let me teach her and when she finally caved, I started by showing her how to do a chain, but she got bored real quick because it wasn't producing anything but a long string. I made a few rows of sc about 15 sts wide and gave it back to her and taught her how to do a sc. That was much more interesting to her because she felt like she was actually making something. But since your niece actually wants to learn, she might not mind if it doesn't turn into something immediately. I agree with queen mo about using a big hook and thick yarn so she can see what's happening. Mother's Day is only a month away, so if she catches on and likes it, maybe she could make a potholder or dishcloth for her mom. Or maybe a Barbie blanket would be a good first project. I'm sure you two will have fun tomorrow!:yay

Archived